Problems with coolant system in my 1986 Gmc Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

king foid

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Gmc Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Well, i connected my bottom hose to the intake manifold and top hose to the radiator, blocking off the water pump. The heat works now, but made a funny high pitched noise first turning it on. Thanks for all the help guys!! :cheers:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Well, i connected my bottom hose to the intake manifold and top hose to the radiator, blocking off the water pump. The heat works now, but made a funny high pitched noise first turning it on. Thanks for all the help guys!! :cheers:

Glad to hear it!

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Another thing to check is freeze plugs. One may rust or crack, you won't see it because it forms like a stalagmite as it dries on the block, but It will constantly let air in, causing most of the issues you talked about. Had that on my blue truck

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
That would be more like a stalactite - which starts at a high point and grows in the downwards direction. A stalagmite, on the other hand, begins to form from a low point and rises upwards.

A good mnemonic device: "Dust mites live in the carpet". And the carpet is low.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes, I'm not here to argue the difference between the two. I kept trying to type stalactites but spell check kept changing it to stalagmite.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Google was doing the same spell suggestion to me as well. Probably because I was trying to spell it "stalagtite". You'd figure they'd both start off the same?