Probably already know it’s bad, but how bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbolover

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Thanks for the Pictures 8888.
That is pretty close to the color scheme that I want to put on my truck.
Right now mine is just rattle can black primer. A collector would have called the look it had as "PATINA". I prefer to call it what it was "surface rust".

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I reinstalled the old oil pressure sender and fired it up tonight. The oil pressure gauge stayed pegged beyond 60 psi and never moved. No oil smoke on startup but if I rev it hard, I'll get a bit of a cloud. I decided to let it idle till the thermostat opened and see what happened.

the longer I let it run, the more oil smoke I got at idle but the inside of a lot of the exhaust system has to be coated with oil, considering the clogged return in the head and oil dripping out of the manifold on the drivers side when I first got it.

It still seems to have a bit of a lope to it when idling but it doesn't have anything installed after the muffler and the 4 passenger side plugs are still gapped .010" over. I know what bad main bearings sound like and most other internal problems and I don't hear anything bad. It sounds really smooth and strong when revved up.

Oddly enough, the oil pressure gauge went back to reading 40 psi towards the end of the run, and never dropped.

So it seems healthy except for the oil smoke when revved up.

Currently in the process of trying to get the rear bumper off. Grinding a few carriage bolts off by the dent to get to the bracket to frame bolts. Major pain, that dent couldn't be more perfectly placed to block things off from underneath, haha.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks for the Pictures 8888.
That is pretty close to the color scheme that I want to put on my truck.
Right now mine is just rattle can black primer. A collector would have called the look it had as "PATINA". I prefer to call it what it was "surface rust".

Mine has patina on the top and hood too, but it's just sun baked paint.

Turbolover

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
8888 thought you might like this pic.
It isn't a squarebody but it is a crewcab

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics