Primary Throttle Shaft/Linkages?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
are they going to be the same if the carb came off a '86 Burb w/ 350 as my '86 305? http://www.ebay.com/itm/291235371952 i did buy it and overall it looks close, i wish there was a direct picture of the drivers side so i could see the linkages but i think it is the same or simiar

reason:

i was trying to retap the holes in the primary shaft since 1 screw sheared on removal and i ended up snapping the tap in the hole and i don't know how to or if it is even possible to remove it.
and i am missing some parts i would like to get back that look like they are on that carb.

i am only planning to take what i need (throttle shaft, idle solenoid, choke housing) and leave the rest unless it is better than mine.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
is it the same as your carb?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The reason you sheared the screw holding the throttle plate is because when they are installed they are peened to prevent them from backing out and being sucked into the combustion chamber.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You must file or grind off the threads protruding from the shaft and then back out the screw.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You must purchase new screws to reinstall and you must peen the ends to prevent them from backing out.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
For future reference...If you are trying to remove the throttle blade screws. You(must) grind the ends off because they are staked so they don't back out.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Staked yes it is staked lol

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I'm with stupid :) me wants steaks

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
i know they were staked, i did grind them first and the final one still broke :(

anyway, linkages, etc were identical except the fast idle cam has 3 steps instead of 2 mine had. i put that one on.

carb is back on and it did start it, it idles at like 2800.......need time and suggestions on where to start with that so i can get it retuned! also seems like choke might be binding somewhere, which is weird because on my bench it was fine...

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
This is how i install mine. Insert the 4 carb to intake screws. Finger tighten them. Slide carb base gasket all the way forward. Slide the carb all the way back. Tighten the 4 screws. Check to make sure all the carb body screws are tight. Is your throttle shaft loose?

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
This is how i install mine. Insert the 4 carb to intake screws. Finger tighten them. Slide carb base gasket all the way forward. Slide the carb all the way back. Tighten the 4 screws. Check to make sure all the carb body screws are tight. Is your throttle shaft loose?

shaft is tight as i put in teflon bushings

i will try moving it around it could be binding, well something is for sure just not sure what.

i did also notice fuel/wetness between airhorn and middle assembly. but it was only after playing with the linkage to see if i could tell what was binding and the accelerator pump pumped 4 or 5 times.

i was really hoping it would just run, but my luck, nothing ever works out. it did start awesome though now that the choke works, so thats something

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Check and make sure that the choke housing is fully seated and square to the carb body. Sometimes the aluminum choke housing needs to be filed about 1/32 inch to allow the top dowel pin to seat properly. It can be the difference between sticky and smooth.

sliding base gaskets around is going to do dick all, except satisfy obsessive compulsive disorders.

The throttle shaft should be with out slack but not tight as in doesn't move freely. When the throttle is opened and released it should return to the closed position with little to no effort.

The Phillips adjusting screw on the passenger side below the choke linkage is for adjusting your fast idle( idle speed while the choke is engaged) once the choke disengages and the choke plate is fully opened that adjustment does not affect idle speed any more, now the adjusting screw on the drivers side determines idle speed.

I usually set the passengers side fast idle to about 1000-1100 rpm when the engine is cold and first started and then when it is warmed and the choke fully disengages I set the drivers side idle to about 650 rpm. IT is supposed to be 550rpm while in drive. It usually drops 100rpm from neutral to drive.

Last edited:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Floats lil too high if you see wetness around the air horn. No worries we are not pros who do this stuff for a living so lil miss hap along the way is expected.:)

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Check and make sure that the choke housing is fully seated and square to the carb body. Sometimes the aluminum choke housing needs to be filed about 1/32 inch to allow the top dowel pin to seat properly. It can be the difference between sticky and smooth.

sliding base gaskets around is going to do dick all, except satisfy obsessive compulsive disorders.

The throttle shaft should be with out slack but not tight as in doesn't move freely. When the throttle is opened and released it should return to the closed position with little to no effort.

The Phillips adjusting screw on the passenger side below the choke linkage is for adjusting your fast idle( idle speed while the choke is engaged) once the choke disengages and the choke plate is fully opened that adjustment does not affect idle speed any more, now the adjusting screw on the drivers side determines idle speed.

I usually set the passengers side fast idle to about 1000-1100 rpm when the engine is cold and first started and then when it is warmed and the choke fully disengages I set the drivers side idle to about 650 rpm. IT is supposed to be 550rpm while in drive. It usually drops 100rpm from neutral to drive.

regular idle screw is set so low the throttle linkage won't touch it.

fast idle is also backed out about far enough to fall out.

will pull airhorn off and check float level, i thought it was set to 13/32 below the top of the bowl, but could be wront (that is what the spec in the chiltons book is anyway, unless i misread it)

oh, and w/o someone to help me i'm still not sure that my accelerator pedal will pull the throttle to WOT. it is a new cable. getting a bit ahead of myself on that one, just came to mind.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
regular idle screw is set so low the throttle linkage won't touch it.

fast idle is also backed out about far enough to fall out.

will pull airhorn off and check float level, i thought it was set to 13/32 below the top of the bowl, but could be wront (that is what the spec in the chiltons book is anyway, unless i misread it)

oh, and w/o someone to help me i'm still not sure that my accelerator pedal will pull the throttle to WOT. it is a new cable. getting a bit ahead of myself on that one, just came to mind.

I wouldn't bother with the float just yet.

So the 2800 rpm is with the choke plate open or closed?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sszcam