Pricing on Engines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
heh must have been all that LS wiring that has made you bitter and angry. We're all car guys here, treat people with some respect even though they have different opinions than you. It's embarrassing to the whole community
My bad. A few too many beers when I wrote that. For the record, I do NOT have an LS. My apologies to the community.

Gene King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Pix of the alleged "IROC"?
I've got an '88.
You must be registered for see images attach
:rockit:
Is that a security cam? lol pretty cool. There she is, is an '89. Car's from Georgia so it hasn't been destroyed by salt. Went all the way down to Pennsylvania about 10 years ago to get it as a young whipper right out of high school. Has treated me really well considering, I've put 50k miles on it and always drove it like I stole it, never left me stranded.

Attachments

• IMG_20200309_1647506.jpg
    IMG_20200309_1647506.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 66

Lorrie

Reaction score
First Name
Lorrie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
I bought a 350 for my burb in Jan of 2012 from Gearhead Engines. It's still going strong.

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Could you recommend some good rebuilders with warranties?
All the crates on Summit from a decent name are at least 3.5k
For wrecking yards, I've called every place in a 30 minute drive and nobody saves over 20 years old, to my knowledge every 350 that came in a vehicle is at least 20 years old. Pull-a-part yards were illegal here until a few years ago so none really exist

edit: this zzz crate is advertised as 345 horsepower & 370 lb/ft of torque. That'll probably wreck my crappy stock 700r4 and 10 bolt. Seems like my options are money pit, nutless dog, or lawn ornament for the car
The tranny and diff should handle that with no problem. I would be afraid of the engine if you can't see it run and do a compression test.

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Was just bullshitting with my dad, he's got an old 327 with questionable bores and 10:1 heads but with sunk valves. Not sure that helps me yet but it wouldn't cost me anything to get
Must be aftermarket heads. I didn't think a 327 had stock heads at 10:1.

elcamman50

Reaction score
First Name
charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Those days are long gone, at least down here in the San Diego area. Most 350 and other Chevy engines (including big blocks) are going for 1 thousand to 2 thousand on Craigslist and Facebook Market. Maybe it is just here. I do have friends in New Mexico where they seem to still be plentiful and a lot cheaper. I would just buy a new crate 350 from GM, with the warranty. The base ones are not that expensive.

Blmpkn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yeah, you better stick with old technology. The learning curve for some is too much to overcome.
Not tooting my own horn here, but I am more than intelligent enough to do an LS swap. I have built and tuned some modern vehicles, currently have a turbocharged 4 banger j@p car in the driveway putting out a little over 300awhp. It's down at the moment being made even faster. Just because I technically know how to mess around with newer tech, doesn't mean I want shat sh!t in my square. I don't drive a 30something year old rectangle on 15" wheels and analogue gauges because I'm too stupid to figure out an LS, I just like the truck for what it is, sorry you hated yours so much that you had to ruin it to make yourself feel better. Personally I couldn't think of a worse thing to do to a square than swap in an LS, but it's all personal preference I don't care that you stole the heart and soul out of yours for the sake of perceived "driveability", snd I wouldn't blatantly call you dumb for doing so (but now that you mention it, what a stupid f-ing thing to do. What's wrong, couldn't figure out how to swap in a brand new 'vette engine?). If I'm that concerned I'll go hop in the '08 2500 with a 6.0L, but the square SHOULD have an old school small block in it, or maybe even a big block. But not some ******* LS with a plastic intake and computers and 8 coils and all that crap. Pretty nice having something you can fix with a leatherman on the side of the road.

Gene King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Do people realize an LS can be run off a carb with next to no electrics? It IS a better choice than a "traditional" smallblock, for many reasons.

As a Mainer, can vouch for Marshall's.
you can put a carb on them but you need the computer to do ignition, they have no distributor hole. There's an ~$800 kit to make a distrib mount in the timing cover but that's rich for my blood. The auto trans that came with them have computers too.
Must be aftermarket heads. I didn't think a 327 had stock heads at 10:1.
Here's a couple pages out of a book I have, ours is from '64 so it's the 10.5:1, but they even made 11:1 heads

Attachments

• IMG_20220411_224649.jpg
    IMG_20220411_224649.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20220411_224702.jpg
    IMG_20220411_224702.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 63

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not tooting my own horn here, but I am more than intelligent enough to do an LS swap. I have built and tuned some modern vehicles, currently have a turbocharged 4 banger j@p car in the driveway putting out a little over 300awhp. It's down at the moment being made even faster. Just because I technically know how to mess around with newer tech, doesn't mean I want shat sh!t in my square. I don't drive a 30something year old rectangle on 15" wheels and analogue gauges because I'm too stupid to figure out an LS, I just like the truck for what it is, sorry you hated yours so much that you had to ruin it to make yourself feel better. Personally I couldn't think of a worse thing to do to a square than swap in an LS, but it's all personal preference I don't care that you stole the heart and soul out of yours for the sake of perceived "driveability", snd I wouldn't blatantly call you dumb for doing so (but now that you mention it, what a stupid f-ing thing to do. What's wrong, couldn't figure out how to swap in a brand new 'vette engine?). If I'm that concerned I'll go hop in the '08 2500 with a 6.0L, but the square SHOULD have an old school small block in it, or maybe even a big block. But not some ******* LS with a plastic intake and computers and 8 coils and all that crap. Pretty nice having something you can fix with a leatherman on the side of the road.
Apparently you didn't read my follow up post? But wait, you liked it? I said I'm sorry for the rant to the community. Mocking the LS craze is one thing, insulting someone's intelligence is another. I was joking, but not everyone perceives things the same way. Again, I apologize. Moving on.

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Do people realize an LS can be run off a carb with next to no electrics? It IS a better choice than a "traditional" smallblock, for many reasons.

As a Mainer, can vouch for Marshall's.
There's a good number of us, probably the majority that are uninterested in an LS, period.

The OP has even requested that there be NO debate about it. Can we please drop the LS thing NOW!

Thank you.

Last edited:

Blmpkn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
There's a good number of us, probably the majority that are uninterested in an LS, period.

The OP has even requested that there be NO debate about it. Can we please drop the LS thing NOW!

Thank you.

With all the talk about "wiring nightmares" and such, you can forgive me for trying to help and let the community know that it's much simpler than that.

you can put a carb on them but you need the computer to do ignition, they have no distributor hole. There's an ~$800 kit to make a distrib mount in the timing cover but that's rich for my blood. The auto trans that came with them have computers too.

Here's a couple pages out of a book I have, ours is from '64 so it's the 10.5:1, but they even made 11:1 heads

The typical ignition controller people use is 400$ (still pricey, yeah) and doesnt need a distributor.

I didn't know about the fancy timing cover.. sounds cool! Too rich for my blood too though haha.

Also, no need to use the new trannys. The old school trannys mate right up to the LS family of motor. I have a built th400 for my 4.8 that's getting twins and a detroit blower.

But yeah.. again.. no LS talk so I don't get my pee-pee slapped lol. Definitely check out Marshall's in Skowhegan maine. Top notch work, good warranty, great prices!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man