Praise for the Delco 2700

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The trucks that had them, it was a braided ground strap, about a 1/2" wide. I don't know, maybe 8 or 10 inches long. Any heavy wire with eyelets would work, but may not look original.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@Turbo4whl,

It seems to me I had somewhere a post I made to you about the "ground strap" on the hood. I'm going to do that. I'll post pics. My truck doesn't have any signs of ever having a ground strap on the hood either, but I'm putting one on it. Now, what kind of strap material is it? Like the ground strap from the firewall to the engine block? Like that one?

I saw one at Advance Auto Parts a few weeks ago when I was out collecting wire for the Amp gauge install. I thought, "Oh look, a ground strap." "Ummm." I was considering it because of all the threads I have read on this forum about the more grounds the better, so I was eye balling it.

I just remembered that the hood I have now is not the original hood. That one got all bent in the middle like they get, so I bought a new one from my local Chevy dealer when I was rebuilding my truck. The old one may have had a screw hole in the middle, I don't know. But it didn't have a place for a under hood light either and the new hood does.
use ground strap like what your firewall one would be. run it to a clean portion of the hood, maybe use sandpaper, self tap into the lower skin or find a suitable place to connect and then find another firewall spot

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl,

I saw that one at Advance Auto Parts. I'll use that one. @Tubo4whl says he thought they were about a 1/2" wide. I wonder what a strap that big would do rather a smaller one like the kind we're talking about? 1/2" is larger than ones on aircraft! Most all of them are the kind like on our trucks. On aircraft they're called "bonding straps", or "lightning straps". They are mostly to keep lightning strikes from damaging the control surfaces hinges, and electronics. The radio racks have bonding straps on them to. That was always one of our points of inspection was looking for the tiny holes from lightning strikes. It looks like a burned little hole. Since aircraft have no way of grounding up in the air, the lightning goes in at one point and due to the straps, the lightning passes right out of the aircraft. There's no harm to craft or people.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@AuroraGirl,

I saw that one at Advance Auto Parts. I'll use that one. @Tubo4whl says he thought they were about a 1/2" wide. I wonder what a strap that big would do rather a smaller one like the kind we're talking about? 1/2" is larger than ones on aircraft! Most all of them are the kind like on our trucks. On aircraft they're called "bonding straps", or "lightning straps". They are mostly to keep lightning strikes from damaging the control surfaces hinges, and electronics. The radio racks have bonding straps on them to. That was always one of our points of inspection was looking for the tiny holes from lightning strikes. It looks like a burned little hole. Since aircraft have no way of grounding up in the air, the lightning goes in at one point and due to the straps, the lightning passes right out of the aircraft. There's no harm to craft or people.
I think the point of the straps on the aircraft would be to provide a ground path that doesnt pass through the electronics or you

i dont quite know the reception parts of things but the ones on my f150 are a little wider than the engine ones and they dont use screws or bolts, just clips on the ends. kinda like a fan shroud clip for the lower part of core support with a strap on the one side

those are also for galvanic corrosion as well*

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tetz73