Power windows and locks don't work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
I recently rewired my truck after doing a cab swap, and I finally got everything hooked up and working. The truck has power windows and locks but they don't seem to work right. The driver's door does absolutely nothing. The lock and window doesnt work, but the switches trigger the passenger's side. The passenger's side lock works when hitting the switch but when trying to use the window it only goes up. Same thing when using the passenger's switches. Keep in mind this problem occured before I tore apart the truck and rewired it. I just replaced the connector for the driver's dual window switch because the wires were fraying and a couple were broken off. Any help?

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Most likely broken/melted wiring inside the cab-door boots...common problem with old, OE acrylic jacketed wiring.

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
Most likely broken/melted wiring inside the cab-door boots...common problem with old, OE acrylic jacketed wiring.
I'll take a look at the full wiring and see if I notice anything obvious

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Switches control the +.

Check for a good ground at your doors too. Just because they're 'connected' through the hinges don't mean diddly.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Switches control the +.

Check for a good ground at your doors too. Just because they're 'connected' through the hinges don't mean diddly.
That doesn’t apply to 1982-up trucks. The common bussbar ground for the window circuit is under/behind the dash. 1977-81 window motors were however, self grounding.

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
I got the driver’s side working after fiddling with the plugs and switches and cleaning them, the passenger’s switch doesn’t work because it’s broken, but works fine being controlled from the driver’s side. Gotta get a new connector and switch

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising