power window problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evanm

Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
having problems with my power windows on my 83 . replaced the motor and the switch on my passenger door.Can only get it to go up not down. every thing works well with the test light on the motor plug end. Power on both sides on the plug when using the switch. problem is when pluging in the window motor I get power going to make the motor to go up but when trying the down position I am getting no action but getting power on both terminals of the plug going into the window motor. im stumped reaching out for help. thanks guys

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Sounds like a faulty switch. If I am not mistaken the motor grounds itself, and power should go to one terminal OR the other, not BOTH. Try jumping power to each terminal with some wire or something. By providing power to one terminal it should go up, provide power to the other and it should go down. If you have power to the switch and you can verify that the switch is providing power to both terminals when pressed down, then you likely have a faulty switch. Good luck.

evanm

Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have tried this switch out on another pickup and the window functions both ways

BADAZ chevy guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Try getting rid of the factory wiring and go with relays.

Attachments

• Powerwindowwiringwithrelays.jpg
    Powerwindowwiringwithrelays.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 75

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
It sounds to me like a supply problem. There are only 3 pins in the switch, a supply and two outputs. It really looks like a problem revolving around that. Have the wires been played with at all?

evanm

Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Took the drivers door apart and like you say a 3 prong switch
Tested the switch and it supply's power both ways did a continuity on the wires that go through the wire harness to the pass door and they are good. The drivers door switch functions the same as the pass as it will only power the window up not down

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Well in that case I would probably suspect the window motor itself. If you have verified that the switches and wires are good, and it looks as though you have, that would be the next logical step. Try jumping power directly to each pin on the motor, bypassing ALL wire and/or switches if possible (ie go directly from the battery to the motor). BE CAREFUL. If the motor still will only go up and not down then the problem is almost definitely the window motor. Keep us posted!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06