Power steering shim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bgh831

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Ok feeling kind of dumb but replaced the pump and now can't remember where the thick washer/shim goes to line it up. It is one of the water pump mount style mounts any help would be great.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think it spaces the pump bracket away from the head.

bgh831

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
It has a u shaped bracket on the left side that has one bolt that runs thru the water pump and back to a welded nut on the bracket. The right side has two bolts on the pump for a bracket that has the slide adjustment notch for the bolt that goes to the exhaust manifold bracket. I have never seen a spacer between the exhaust manifold and slide adjustment bracket but is that what you mean?

bgh831

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
since I have the fender and hood and door off it's real easy to see right now and looks like the bottom of the pulley is in line with the crank pulley but the top of the pump is kicked out forward. Still kinda stumped on wich bolt this shim looking washer needs to go on. Tried it behind the adjustment arm but that just made it worse.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Mine has a large nut, approximately 1/2" thick under the top mount. However mine also has a washer or 2 under both the other bolts too. So this may confuse you more than help lol. But try the top and see if it works there.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Just set my pulleys and the inner (P/S pump) belt up this afternoon. The plow pump bracket is 1/4" plate and has two thin S.S. washer between it and the head at each bolt hole. So the P/S pump bracket has a total stand off of about 5/16".

The lower bracket is hard against the factory mounting plate and the lock down bolt at the exhaust manifold is made up hard. The pulley stack on the water pump flange is up snug and the crank pulley is perfectly in line with it (as checked with a straight edge during assembly). So basically, the only point to make any adjustments in offset alignment is at the P/S bracket upper bolt.

I taped the existing washer stacks to the bracket during disassembly so I'm confident it is just as it was before.

Having said all that, it looks like it could use an additional 1/8" to 1/4" of spacer - however, as Belichek says "It is what it is".

It's a sucky job, never lost a belt or made any noise in 2 years I've had it - so, it's not coming apart again.

You must be registered for see images attach

Edited:

After some thought (and sleep) it became clear that the plow pump bracket is throwing the P/S pulley out of alignment - and the extra washers only add to the problem. The P/S bracket should be bolted directly to the head with no spacers.

I need the plow pump (and there is no way to put it on top of the P/S bracket) so all I can do is remove my extra washers and see if it lines up better.

Last edited:

bgh831

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Yeah I'm stumped. Gotta figure out how to take/post pictures so I can show you what I'm dealing with.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Just now noticed that you are working on a 76. I have no experience with water pump mounted P/S brackets - sorry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
88SQDRW