Please Help me save some paint. Wax coating, what to use,etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Shine Juice from VGG and Patina Sauce from Sweet Patina are good products. They're a temporary coating that you reapply every so often, just like you would with wax. It doesn't permanently lock in anything. Poppy's is a very finicky, specific product meant for a very specific kind of patina (that the OP's truck does not have). I've talked with the Poppy's guy, he's a chemist and knows what he's talking about and he'll tell ya his products are for a very specific application. I've seen many, MANY horror stories online of people using Poppy's and within a year or two, it's lifting and taking the original paint/patina with it down to bare metal. Just an FYI.

Also, I speak from experience here, don't clear patina. Ever. Doesn't matter if it's sprayed on or the wipe on stuff. My truck had very light patina compared to alot of trucks and the PO cleared mine after it was cut down. You would think being semi-modern paint (being an '85) and only mild patina, it would've been fine. Nope, now the clear is bubbling/lifting and flaking off left and right. I specifically wanted a patina truck so I wouldn't have to do bodywork and paint basically ever, but I didn't know about the clear issues with patina back then. I'm likely going to have to paint my truck in the next few years now

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
My truck was pretty badly oxidized. I used polish and then went over it with McGuire wax I used the Milwaukee buffer and then I used a polish pad pretty good.

Attachments

• image000001.jpeg
    image000001.jpeg
    423.2 KB · Views: 12

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
My truck was pretty badly oxidized. I used polish and then went over it with McGuire wax I used the Milwaukee buffer and then I used a polish pad pretty good.
Same colors as my sons 85 10,
I think his will end up looking as good as yours does. That red and gray/silver looks good

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fb0067