Please Help me get this truck going!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I want to take it to a mechanic but just figure they will screw it up.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
This example has been a cornerstone in my toolbox. it says "INNOVA 1996" on one side and "GM CODE KEY"
You must be registered for see images attach
on the other. it's worth it's weight in gold and I probably paid $1.00 for it. For reference that's what they are looking like.

You must be registered for see images attach

Coolant Temperature Sensors are pretty cheap too.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I know very little about how the TBI system works. However, most similar system have an IAC (idle air control) that adds air and increases idle speed when the engine is cold. That is probably one item to check.

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I thought I read you replaced the CTS. Confirm that for everyone here trying to help.
Did you inspect every vacuum line. Take a flashlight and check everyone visually
Did you pull the EGR valve and inspect for carbon buildup? If not, do that and see if the plunger is functioning.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You can check egr function just by applying vacuum to it. Another use for the dollar tree meat marinade syringe.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yeah and pretty sure there are 2 different coolant temperature sensors. One on the driver cylinder head while the other used to be in the thermostat housing.
People change that housing and the wiring is often damaged OR that ground ring gets destroyed.
Them parts are very inexpensive. Put a little pipe dope on the threads...but IF you manage coolant system cavitation then all bets are off when it's full of air.

Last edited:

Steppin Razor

Reaction score
First Name
S
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 silverado
Engine Size
I know very little about how the TBI system works. However, most similar system have an IAC (idle air control) that adds air and increases idle speed when the engine is cold. That is probably one item to check.
If it's got an IACV, I would also suggest cleaning that out and making sure it's working.

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Im reading that 87’s have catalytic converters. Sounds like your on track, but if you cant resolve it the cat(s) could be plugged. Even a little coolant in the exhaust will hasten their collapse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl