Patch panel welding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
The bigger Eastwood MIG welder is Asian made and still runs near the price of a new Lincoln. Never having used one I can't speak to the quality but Eastwood tends to sell decent tools.

If you're looking at Asian machines you might want to take a look at Everlast. Their MIG units have a pretty decent wire drive design, in some of the latest units, and you can take your choice of torches including some US torch models.

Unlike transformer SMAW and TIG welders like my ancient Forney C-5 and Miller 330 A/BP. You have to be very careful of used MIG equipment. They have moving parts that wear out and controllers that may or may not be able to be repaired. I had to buy Tungsten contacts and capacitors for the High Frequency start circuit in the Miller but I knew what I was getting.

I have one of the larger Everlast Inverter TIGs with a home built water cooler. Nowhere near as smooth welding as 800lb of copper and iron from the 1960's inside the Miller 330A/BP or 200lbs of 1940's copper and iron in my Forney C-5 but it doesn't suck up the juice like that old Miller and Forney either. Everlast is not on par with a Miller Dynasty Inverter but it cost less than 1/5 the price. It does the job and it's hanging together alright for my hobby shop use. Not everything they've built is the highest quality but there are some pretty well thought of machines that do the job for the cash challenged masses that can't justify $6,000 for a used or $10,000 for a new Miller Dynasty.

If you go with Asian welders do your homework. There is information out there but you need to carefully filter it. Read the various welding forums and ignore the "everything is crap unless it's Lincoln RED or Miller Blue" posts... Everlast has their own well traveled support forums where you can get help and information but be aware that some glowing reviews could be shills. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle. You can find out what machines work well and those that don't just be patient and dilligent... or Buy a RED or Blue machine LOL. I'd steer clear of the all-in-one machines TIG & SMAW can use the same power source. MIG and Plasma cutters power supplies are quite different from TIG & SMAW and from each other.

Last edited:

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes. If your just starting out an inverted based machine is the way to go. They usually have a set and forget panel thickness dial. You pick your thickness and wire size and it figures it out for you. I think the settings are a bit conservative, but I’ve been welding a long ass time. Lol
being a welder by trade if you can you should use tig it is a lot more controlled and can weld thin metal (best for bodywork my favorite and most developed) mig can be used for thin to thick metal (also is ez) and stick is for outdoors thick and dirty metal (has learning curve would not use for bodywork)

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Just because I have a TIG machine doesn’t mean I know how to use it lol. I’m learning though. I am a structural welder..... I make cranes and crane systems.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I use a Hobart handler 140. It does the job but I am no pro. I can tell it's much better than a flux core welder though.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Do not use flux core....what a mess it leaves

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Oh of course. I'll write you up a waiver. I am flexible if for a good cause.
Kinda hard to fit 5” pipe between the bed floor and frame without an extra 2” lol
You must be registered for see images attach

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow

I found using LIncoln wire and the jelly was pretty effective. I did all my first cab corners and rockers with flux, just had to grind a little more later, or tape up more up front.

The HF flux core doesn't have variable settings though, so sometimes you get stuck between blowing holes in it, and not actually penetrating.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Umm yeah... if the polarity is wrong. You want positive ground. Biggest mistake everyone makes.

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Just because I have a TIG machine doesn’t mean I know how to use it lol. I’m learning though. I am a structural welder..... I make cranes and crane systems.
I am starting to do training for pipe line welding and tig took probably over 500 hours to get as good as i am

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I am starting to do training for pipe line welding and tig took probably over 500 hours to get as good as i am
TIG is much easier to learn when you started welding with Oxy Acetylene. The pedal controlled instant changes in heat without changing gas tips is a darn nice feature of TIG.

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
TIG is much easier to learn when you started welding with Oxy Acetylene. The pedal controlled instant changes in heat without changing gas tips is a darn nice feature of TIG.
Mine doesn’t have a control pedal. I made one so I can keep gas coverage at the end of a weld. I run a 50 horsepower contactor with the ground running threw it to stop the arc but keep gas flowing. It’s a scratch start machine.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
If you're feeling especially adventurous there are some dangerous DIY welder projects out there.
A friend of mine, Bill The Arcstarter, used a farm welder as a scratch start TIG in the mid 1990's. I did the same with my Forney. That wasn't very satisfying so he built a foot pedal control to run what's basically a big hairy lamp dimmer based on FETs chopping the 220vac input voltage of a farm welder. Then he added high frequency start to the output using a Tesla spark gap capacitor circuit similar to the HF start on my $400 Miller 330A/BP that I found and we were trying to fix.
He used to have a page with some of the hazy details on Geocities before Yahoo killed Geocities. His present site doesn't have any info on the chopper or the high frequency stablizer.
We both have a bit more in the way of hobby funds now that we're not just out of college so we bought safer commercially produced Inverter TIG welders.
The DIY system worked on his welder and on mine but he was worried about liability, if some jackwagon killed themselves, so the project never went past the "It's ALIVE and I can use it!!!" stage.
Another guy went a slightly different direction and he has more guts than we did... his DIY is here.---> http://www3.telus.net/public/a5a26316/TIG_Welder.html

Last edited:

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I like due to the complexity of it and time to master and once you master it it is a nice skill

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I own a 110 Weldpak and the 120 or 140. The 110 was a dealer refurbish and cost more to run and is pure aggravation. The bigger one allows me to stick metal together sometimes.
I suck at welding. No patience for the learning curve or to practice.
That being said, way back when I had a 70 amp Sears buzzbox that I bought from a pawn shop that was perfect for small body work and exhaust pipe. I still have some of the rods. They should be good after 30 years of Florida humidity, right? The welder was no bigger than a battery charger so I could take it anywhere.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I own a 110 Weldpak and the 120 or 140. The 110 was a dealer refurbish and cost more to run and is pure aggravation. The bigger one allows me to stick metal together sometimes.
I suck at welding. No patience for the learning curve or to practice.
That being said, way back when I had a 70 amp Sears buzzbox that I bought from a pawn shop that was perfect for small body work and exhaust pipe. I still have some of the rods. They should be good after 30 years of Florida humidity, right? The welder was no bigger than a battery charger so I could take it anywhere.
Oh yeah they should be fine...lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedwhisky