Patch panel welding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I own a 110 Weldpak and the 120 or 140. The 110 was a dealer refurbish and cost more to run and is pure aggravation. The bigger one allows me to stick metal together sometimes.
I suck at welding. No patience for the learning curve or to practice.
That being said, way back when I had a 70 amp Sears buzzbox that I bought from a pawn shop that was perfect for small body work and exhaust pipe. I still have some of the rods. They should be good after 30 years of Florida humidity, right? The welder was no bigger than a battery charger so I could take it anywhere.

If the coating isn't flaking off... Put em on a cookie sheet in an oven for 24 hours at 250°F.

I've soaked 6010 & 6011 in water to use as high amp cutting rods when I was younger and ran out of gas. Worked great for rendering the two ex cop cars we bought from the state for parts too.

Last edited:

3504boltmain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
5.7l
I was planning on TIG welding some patch panels on my truck... I haven't used MIG on sheet metal... And I always blow through with stick welding on thin metal. It might be the machine... More likely the it is the operator. I like TIG most... It's slow but fun. I have a Lincoln invertec.

3504boltmain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
5.7l
Just because I have a TIG machine doesn’t mean I know how to use it lol. I’m learning though. I am a structural welder..... I make cranes and crane systems.
V grove. Back gouge to sound metal. 3/8 fillet. Weld all around. Maximun 1/32 undercut. Visual inspect.

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
Time to pirate the thread.....

Now that the welding gurus have schooled us "never done befores" on what type of welding machine to use and preferred techniques....god only knows how ugly it's going to be without some hands on help.

I picked up my K10 from some idiot who left it in the woods to rot away. Rust has eaten through door skin, rockers, floor pans, cab corners and a bit of cancer under the bottom corner of the windshield. At what point would you cab swap versus patch up?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------

Now that the welding gurus have schooled us "never done befores" on what type of welding machine to use and preferred techniques....god only knows how ugly it's going to be without some hands on help.

I picked up my K10 from some idiot who left it in the woods to rot away. Rust has eaten through door skin, rockers, floor pans, cab corners and a bit of cancer under the bottom corner of the windshield. At what point would you cab swap versus patch up?
How easily can you find a good cab?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow

At the point I needed a single panel. These cabs are common, and even if you don't want to travel they can be found. You being in Alabama, I would cab swap in a heartbeat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paz4x4