partially blown amp channel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
i thought perhaps my right rear speaker was blown as I only heard the really high frequencies from it and no bass. so today i was doing some looking, the fronts weren't connected, so I hooked them up. the front left sounds ok (all speakers are old aftermarket clarion) but the front right sounds just like the rear one, only extrememly high freqs only.

is it possible the right channel on my radio is blown? some old kenwood unit not sure of model right now. neither speaker looks to be blown

plan is ultimately to put in 2 new speakers either in the doors or kicks. truck isnt a daily driver, so don't need much. but if it is the radio that will change plans a bit

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It could be one of many things. The speakers them selves. The amp, the head unit.. I would try a test. swap wires from right to left. See if you get the same results. If the left side becomes bad sounding its the amp or head unit. Is there wires to go to the speakers from the back of the deck with out a amp? If so thats how i would test to see if its the amp.. after testing the speakers.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
It could be one of many things. The speakers them selves. The amp, the head unit.. I would try a test. swap wires from right to left. See if you get the same results. If the left side becomes bad sounding its the amp or head unit. Is there wires to go to the speakers from the back of the deck with out a amp? If so thats how i would test to see if its the amp.. after testing the speakers.

If im reading it right, hes talking about the internal built in amp of the headunit.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Correct. I have never seen anything only output maybe 7000 and up. It is easy enough to hook the right rear to the left side since I already have that speaker out. I will try that today.

Yes, no amp, just the deck and 4 speakers. Both right speakers sound the same. It is bizarre.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You can test the output with a volt meter. Set it to AC. Compare out put from both sides.

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Haha.. Well i completely miss read that.. Sorry..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes