Parking Brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlmiller430

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I need some help. I wouldn't be asking this unless I really needed it. When I bought my truck it came with out any parking brakes attached, the pedal is the only thing that is still there. I had ordered the parts that I was told I needed, and my dad was going to help me with this project before he passed away unexpectedly. Now I am just kind of lost with what I need to do with them. Pictures would help greatly if possible. I need help trying to figuring out where to run the cables and where to connect them. Anything will be appreciated.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sorry to hear of you loss... I don't have anything at the moment, but next time I'm taking pics, I'll try to remember to get some of the parking brake cables.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wow, sorry for your loss.

I just did the same thing actually about a year ago. I'll try to get out to my garage and take some pictures for you tonight.

Basically you have three cables. 1) cable that attaches to the pedal and goes below the truck. 2) Left rear cable and 3) right rear cable

Cable #1 goes below the truck to around the gas tank area I believe and attaches to a "connector" (Item 5 on the picture). Cable #2 attaches to this connector, goes through a guide and then through the equalizer and on to the left rear brake drum. Cable #3 attaches to the equalizer and bolts on, goes through a clip at the axle shaft (or pumpkin, whichever you prefer to call it), then goes into the right rear drum assembly.

Looking at this picture should help.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/865w/0167.jpg

Again, I'm going off of memory, but that is basically how it works. You have to adjust the nuts on the one cable that only goes through the equalizer (Cable #3 in the above scenario). There is a procedure for that, but I'd have to find it. I haven't done it on my truck yet though.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
So I need some help. I wouldn't be asking this unless I really needed it. When I bought my truck it came with out any parking brakes attached, the pedal is the only thing that is still there. I had ordered the parts that I was told I needed, and my dad was going to help me with this project before he passed away unexpectedly. Now I am just kind of lost with what I need to do with them. Pictures would help greatly if possible. I need help trying to figuring out where to run the cables and where to connect them. Anything will be appreciated.

Dude, I am so sorry for your loss, you so young. I lost my Dad too 7 years ago. :console:

Post #27 may have some helpful info:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5435&page=2

Last edited:

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Oh and jlmiller430, I am going to the junk yard Saturday if all goes as planned, so if you can't figure it out by the image above I'll see if I can find a '78 and get some pics.

jlmiller430

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks you guys for the help and pointing me in the right direction on where to get started. I am hoping that the diagram will help but sonicbluezx3, if you are going and don't mind getting a few pics that would be a great help, but if not no worries. I am hoping that after this snow storm passes I can get out and get this put in. And I will have to say it is especially hard losing a father so young as a senior in hs, as I am sure you, sonicbluezx3, have a better clue than anybody else of what it is like.

and thanks 89Suburban for pointing me to some of the information. I guess I should have done a better job looking for some of the information before I posted.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Got some pics today at the yard, gonna see how they look and post them in a little while.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Okay the pics suck for some reason. I was in a hurry since I only had about 30 minutes in there. Usually they are open til 6 but they closed at 4 yesterday for some reason and I didn't know that. I'll try again next week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gage T