Parking brake light is staying on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeB.84

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've been having problems with my battery staying charged. Bought a new battery and still having trouble. It will hold a charge for roughly 3weeks. I had the alternator tested and it's working properly, but something is still draining my battery. I noticed around them same time i started having issues that my parking brake light on the dash stays on even when brake is disengaged. Could this be part of my issue? Open to any suggestions. Thanks

Love my 84 square body

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If the light goes out when you turn off the ignition, it won't drain your battery. The light could be on for a few reasons, the most important being a squishy brake pedal.

Any aftermarket electrical stuff on the truck like CD player or alarm system? It might not sound related, but do your dome lights and horn work?

MikeB.84

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Now that you mention it, the truck has an aftermarket CD player in it. The CD player does some weird stuff from time to time.
Example: turned the ignition off and radio stayed on. Had to press the power button on radio to turn it off. This has only happened once that I know of.
Never had problems with battery until this past winter. Could it be the CD player head unit itself? Dome lights and horn both work

Last edited:

Hoodbj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
If the CD player occasionally stays on even if the ignition is off then it would drain the battery. If it's only sometimes it is possible that the accessory wire and power wire are in contact somewhere. On most aftermarket CD players these will be red (only powered with ignition in on or acc position) and yellow (constant power). I would check to make sure there are no bare wires touching on your radio.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah it could be the CD player. I had a truck that randomly started having battery draining issues and it was hard to track down. I was charging the battery one day and happened to have my head shoved under the dash looking at something else, and while under there I noticed a very faint buzzing. It seemed to be coming from the CD player even though everything was off. I replaced the CD player and there were no battery drain issues again.

Your problem is that a very slow drain like that can be extremely hard to track down. But if the CD player acts goofy than that is a very good place to start.

Milblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MilBlazer
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
What else would cause the brake light to stay on constantly?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
There is something not right with how the OP describes his situation. If the truck is driven daily (and the alternator is known to be fully functional), a good battery doesn't slowly discharge over a 3 week period.

Think about it: even if there is a key-off drain issue, it is not a cumulative process.

Every morning - no matter how low the state of charge may have gotten overnight - if it can start the truck, it gets a new life.

As soon as the engine fires up, the alternator starts spinning and quickly begins charging the battery. A good alternator can fully recharge - even a nearly dead battery - in less than a 1/2 hour.

So each night when the truck is shut down, the battery should be in a fully charged condition. That is assuming that the truck was driven long enough during the course of the day to give the alternator time to do it's job.

I think what is happening is that there is a heavy (but intermittent) key-off drain going on. It may appear that the battery is slowly losing it's charge over a 3 week period, but it is more likely that the full charge is lost in just one night.

One way to prove this would be to put a charger on the battery at the end of the day. Not to charge it but only to observe the charger's ammeter.

If the ammeter is shows a full charge, take the charger off. Do this for several days and note whether the battery starts to require a longer time to reach fully charged with each passing day.

If, on the other hand, the charger shows the battery to be fully charged day after day - then that would indicate that the battery is not slowly losing it's charge.

And then, if one morning the battery turns up dead - and it showed as fully charged the night before - it would indicate that there is a strong key-off drain. The sucky thing is that if it happens sporadically, it may be hard to isolate the ground.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Here is the procedure I use to isolate a battery drain:

Remove negative battery cable from the battery.

Using a 12-volt test light (make it up with alligator clips on the leads), hook one end to the negative battery post the other end to the negative battery cable you just disconnected. BTW - this procedure will be much easier if you use nice long leads (like 10 feet) for the test lamp. That way you can keep the lamp right near you as you work (more on that later).

The test light will glow or “light” if there is a flow of electrons through the battery.

If the “light or glow” is faint, that is normal. The battery is supposed to supply a minimal amount of power at all times to several components. For example the clock, radio or computer.

So, moving on, if the test lamp is bright, then there is a large drain. That is what is killing your battery overnight - and it needs to be corrected.

Now, with an eye always on the test lamp, start removing and replacing the fuses one by one. When the light goes out (or dims considerably); that will be the circuit with the drain.

WHEN YOU FIND THE AFFECTED CIRCUIT, LEAVE THE FUSE OUT.

Read the fuse block. If the circuit is providing power to stuff you can live without for a while (directionals, horn, radio, etc.) don’t do anything else right now. Just remove your test lamp rig, put the cable back on the battery and use the truck as normal.

See if the problem is solved. If the battery can now hold a charge overnight – well then, you have identified the problem circuit.

However, if it is a vital circuit (fuel pump, headlights or wipers), or you if want to fix it right away, go to the next step.

Now, once the circuit has been identified, comes the tough part. You need to identify whether the drain is in a component or somewhere in the connecting wires.

To find the ground (and trust me it will be a ground fault as opposed to a short circuit ). I say it will definitely be a ground because if it were a short circuit you would have had to deal with this long ago. At this rate of discharge, you would have most likely been blowing the fuse that feeds the circuit.

Back to the procedure.

Take the test rig that you disconnected from the battery post and cable clamp and remove the alligator clips from the ends of the leads. Take a couple of tiny male spade type solderless connections (Stakons) and crimp one to each of the two test lamp leads.

Plug these into the fuse holder just as if they were the prongs of a fuse.

If you don't feel like making one of theses rigs up, places like Autozone sell a special fuse that actually has leads that you can you can attach things to.

However you do this, make it up well and secure it tightly so it can’t get yanked out.

The test lamp should light up just as brightly as when it was attached to the battery.

Now look in your owners manual (sometimes it will give more detail than the fuse box cover) and see what things are driven by this circuit. Then, while dragging your test lamp around with you (see why I said to make it up with nice long leads) start disconnecting things one at a time.

As you do this, leave each component disconnected.

This is basically the same procedure as we used to find the faulty circuit – only now, we are now just dialing in as to exactly where within the circuit the problem lies.

Watch the lamp at all times. When you pull the connector off of the "problem child", the light will go noticeably dimmer - and you will have found the bad component.

Repair it or replace as necessary. Plug everything else back in too. Check your work with the lamp.

Okay, what if you disconnected everything single thing in the circuit and the lamp is still bright? Either your owners manual is not providing enough detail and there are other things still connected to the circuit or, and this sucks- it is in the wiring.

If it is still glowing brightly, it may be because there is still something plugged in that the manual (or fuse box) doesn't mention. Get the appropriate wiring diagram/schematics and make sure you have isolated every component from the circuit.

If it is in the wiring, again here is where the long leads come in handy. Pick one component and, starting from where it mounts, begin wiggling and shaking the wiring bundle (always watching the test lamp), working back towards the battery.

It will take some time but eventually you should see the bulb dim. Play around with the wires in that area, open the bundle carefully with a sharp knife, pull on them, twist them, do whatever you need to do to find the ground.

But always remember we are looking for a ground to the chassis not a short circuit between two wires. So pay special attention in areas where the wiring can touch the frame or where it passes through a tight penetration.

This sounds extremely involved, but really it isn't. And with any luck, these methods should find and repair your ground.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

There are two switches in the brake warning circuit. If the contacts in either switch are closed, it will create a path to ground and illuminate the BRAKE light on the dash.

One of them is operated by the parking brake lever and closes when the pedal is pressed down (or is hanging down).

Also, there is an electrical switch built into the proportioning/combination valve. The switch is operated by a spool that is normally centered within the valve. If there is a loss of hydraulic pressure on one side of the valve when the brakes are applied, the spool shuttles (either the left or right depending on which braking circuit loses pressure). There is a raised landing on the spool that closes the switch and illuminates the warning light on the dash.

Hoodbj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size

Proportioning valve tripped or parking brake pedal needs pulled up a little by hand.

MikeB.84

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the input. I will try these out and hopefully find the issue. Will update soon

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There is something not right with how the OP describes his situation. If the truck is driven daily (and the alternator is known to be fully functional), a good battery doesn't slowly discharge over a 3 week period.

Good point. I was under the impression that the battery dies after the truck sits for 3 weeks.

MikeB.84

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok guys. Had a chance to do some digging today. The radio fuse was blown but CD player was still working. It looks as though whoever did the install didn't do it right. Correct me if I'm wrong but the yellow lead coming from stereo ( key switch power ) is tied into the cigarette lighter. And the red lead coming the stereo ( constant power ) is tied down with the wiper fuse. That doesn't seem right to me. Sounds backwards.

Hoodbj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
The yellow wire from the CD player should be constant and the red wire should be accessory (key on). At least most aftermarket are that way. If you have a test light it sounds like it's hooked up to where it will work. The cigarette lighter is usually constant power which would work for the yellow and the wiper fuse I believe would turn off with the key and would work for the red wire. If your not driving it daily you could unplugg the fuse for the lighter and wiper and see if the battery holds a charge.

Last edited:

MikeB.84

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'll try that. I have a company truck with my job so I only get to drive my 84 maybe once or twice a week

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69