Painting Steel Bumpers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WamboJambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So I've been in the process of stripping off all the rust and repainting all the stock white painted steel sections of my 78 C10 that would normally be chromed (it was an absolute base model), e.g. bumpers, mirrors, and rims. Now that I'm to the bumpers, I'm curious if it's necessary to paint the back side of it, or if it would be good enough just to prime it and leave it there. I can't imagine a lot of water gets trapped back there, and no one can see it, so I don't have a real strong justification for painting the rear sides of the bumpers as well. Anyone have any insight? Thanks in advance

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Use an epoxy primer as a base, and you can leave it primed if you like.

WamboJambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the welcome! I'll make a proper "Introduction" post once I get some pictures together..

Thanks for the info CSFJ; unfortunately I used a urethane primer instead of epoxy since it was "self-etching".. not sure if that means I have to paint over it unlike the epoxy primer? I'm new to this stuff and just bought some cans of automotive primer at the hardware store, trying to balance budget and longevity. I'm sure I'll have to repaint in a few years, just trying not to do much more than is necessary.

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks for the welcome! I'll make a proper "Introduction" post once I get some pictures together..

Thanks for the info CSFJ; unfortunately I used a urethane primer instead of epoxy since it was "self-etching".. not sure if that means I have to paint over it unlike the epoxy primer? I'm new to this stuff and just bought some cans of automotive primer at the hardware store, trying to balance budget and longevity. I'm sure I'll have to repaint in a few years, just trying not to do much more than is necessary.

Paint it. Epoxy primer will protect metal from moisture, rattle can/urethane/self etching primers will not.

WamboJambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Paint it. Epoxy primer will protect metal from moisture, rattle can/urethane/self etching primers will not.

That makes sense, that was what I had originally heard about primers in general but I didn't know much about epoxy primers. I just figured since the bumpers are tucked up against body panels they wouldn't get a lot of water in there, but life finds a way I imagine. Thanks all for the assistance, I'll cough up the extra few bucks for another paint can.

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
That makes sense, that was what I had originally heard about primers in general but I didn't know much about epoxy primers. I just figured since the bumpers are tucked up against body panels they wouldn't get a lot of water in there, but life finds a way I imagine. Thanks all for the assistance, I'll cough up the extra few bucks for another paint can.

Hit it with a can of rattle can paint or clear. You'll be fine.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I used black epoxy primer for the backside, no paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man