Painting Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Years ago I saw an aluminum ecotec once that looked like the guy had spent months buffing. Turned out, all he did was paint it with aluminum engine enamel - cleaned the aluminum and sprayed it. Gave a much more uniform and clean look (even new aluminum can be blotchy). I do that on every cast aluminum part (heads, alternators, intakes, transmissions).

You must be registered for see images attach

RedGeneral

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Years ago I saw an aluminum ecotec once that looked like the guy had spent months buffing. Turned out, all he did was paint it with aluminum engine enamel - cleaned the aluminum and sprayed it. Gave a much more uniform and clean look (even new aluminum can be blotchy). I do that on every cast aluminum part (heads, alternators, intakes, transmissions).

This looks fantastic, from what I'm gathering, primer is a go AS long as all the preparation, cleaning is done prior to the first spray of anything.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
To be honest, I never primed any of it...and fwiw, years later, its all still there (I think the heat helps alot baking it). Sure is easier to clean. :hat:

Further lunacy.....

AC compressors always were the worst (finish wise) so I'd strip them down and repaint them....then re-pop the decals and replate the brackets. Better than new.

RedGeneral

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
To be honest, I never primed any of it...and fwiw, years later, its all still there (I think the heat helps alot baking it). Sure is easier to clean. :hat:

Further lunacy.....

AC compressors always were the worst (finish wise) so I'd strip them down and repaint them....then re-pop the decals and replate the brackets. Better than new.

That's interesting, not using primer.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
On really smooth surfaces (like the AC housing) I scuff it with a gray scotch pad....then wipe it down and shoot it. On anything else, its pretty rough to begin with. Its sandblasted first then wiped down with acetone or tuolene. Been doing it this way for about 15 yrs.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
.....it wipes clean easily.
And he wipes it down a lot, he likes clean. Sometimes I wonder if he just keeps his truck in a big airtight bubble...lol...

RedGeneral

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
On really smooth surfaces (like the AC housing) I scuff it with a gray scotch pad....then wipe it down and shoot it. On anything else, its pretty rough to begin with. Its sandblasted first then wiped down with acetone or tuolene. Been doing it this way for about 15 yrs.

I don't have access to a sand blaster anymore but I have done that before with other items just not engine parts.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
That's interesting, not using primer.

For properly prepped metal surfaces I've never been a fan of primer either. I've had more paint come off of primer than bare metal. The same is true of fiberglass for those of us in the boating world.

I'd rather spend the extra $$$ for a better paint than primer.

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Paint stores and even some auto parts stores have paint adhesion promoter. I like the spray version. For example, I had to paint the water pump for my 69' T-Bird resto-mod in a bind. My motor is ford power blue with a metallic clear coat. The engine compartment is 3 stage jet black PPG with liquid blue pearl. A rusty w.p. would be blasphemy, couldn't let that happen... The water pump came with the typical shipping grease smothered on it. Hit it with some lacquer thinner then wax & grease remover. Gave it two coats of bulldog promoter and sprayed it with old blue candy paint leftover from a customer's car. Then hit it with the blue pearl to color match. No Primer. 5-years later, one of my favorite details on the car.
I had good luck with the aluminum paint too and the transmission. And again on the transfer case on my 81'k10. In these cases, I use the one the transmission shops get in a can.

Doublenaughtspy

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cid
I tried that too, but I must’ve bought the wrong aluminum color. I did the aluminum front drive brackets and intake manifold to match, but it looked super gaudy.
Try "cast blast" for a better grey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS