Painting Door Panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
They key to painting the plastics is to make sure you do everything humanly possible to clean the heck out of it and get all grease and any crumbly parts off it. One thing I did a long time ago on my fist Jimmy was use simple green and water, then dry it, then I used some TSP and rinsed and dried it. After that I sended it all over because some of the areas were slick and had a litte of that sun rot on them that makes them really dry and grainy with pieces flaking off. Once I got the surface cleaned I did a good wash down with soap and water and then used IPA to wipe and prep the surface once more. Once I did that I used an adhesion promoter, then shot it with flat black Krylon and I let it sit in the sunlight and bake all day. Once that was setup I went back over it with matte clear a few coats, letting it bake and setup each time. It held up well over time but that was a long time ago so can't say how long it held up over the long haul but it was still in good shape the 4 years until I sold it.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Clean/scuff/clean/paint. I use denatured alcohol to clean the plastic.
see how Kyrlon fusion works on the arm rest on the panel. If it doesn't, we'll scuff it off and look at vinyl paint. Other wise, replace with new. Hard part is going to be matching the Krylon Gloss Burgundy I've got for the panels......might have to go with black lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbcasterlin