Painting door panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I painted my door panels this summer. I took them off and really cleaned them well. then I used the krylon paint for plastic. Its held up decently but chips so easily. Anyone else tried refurbishing their door panels? its like 250 for a new pair at Lmc which would be sweet but i figured this would be fun too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I hear SEM paint is what you need to use. I've been told it's a bit pricey but is worth it and is available in rattle cans.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I painted mine too. the plastic is too smooth to hold most paints. i used a scotch pad on mine to suiff them up a bit they are holding up good so far.

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
thanks hotrod I'll check sem out.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
SEM and the Krylon stuff both work well for the door panels, I've used both. The SEM is more like a factory finish, while the Krylon is slightly more glossy.

The panels need a good cleaning, wipe with alcohol, a scuff with a red scuff pad, another wipe with alcohol, a good ******** (no comments fellas, you know what I mean), then finally a couple light even coats of the paint.

That will hold up well for normal use, but it can still get scratched off if your not careful. Like if your dog likes to ride with his paws up there, it won't last... but nothing will. I think even the LMC panels are painted.

dirtroadoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
The best way I've seen was with acrylic enamel that had some flex additive. Just like painting a plastic bumper on a car.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
sems holds up much better than krylon, one of my old trucks i used sems and on the current one krylon, once it warms up they need done again after only a couple of years

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I never had any luck with sem on plastic, it came off way to easy, did some seat belt buckles with it and they flaked quickly.

krylon has always worked great for me. I just use wax and grease remover then let it dry and painted them.

2500sierra81

Reaction score
First Name
Lorenzo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 v8
i was thinking of trying to do this to my truck as well. however i have had a hard time finding out how to take the door panels off. any tips would be help as i dont have that much experience with car interiros.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
roll the window down,remove the window crank handle if you have one, special tool helps or alot of looking and trying with a screwdriver or what not, remove the door lock knob, remove 4 screws on the bottom, 81-87's got one next to the armrest, some have them inside the door handle area, may have to remove the door arm rest/screws I forget, it's been awhile, then work it loose from the bottom up, then I usually grab the top and try to pull away from the door/towards the window then slide the entire door panel up and out. The part I pull towards the window is the felt strip/lip on top of the door.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
i painted mine with vinyl paint and it looks and is holding up great... ill try and find a pic...

You must be registered for see images attach

did the dash too, im not a fan of yellow

Last edited:

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
if youve never had the panel off before you have to pop out the plastic clip plugs, theres a bunch going up both sides on mine, then lift up and off

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
i painted mine with vinyl paint and it looks and is holding up great... ill try and find a pic...

did the dash too, im not a fan of yellow

I wish I would have known, I could have traded you for some reconditioned panels in black. Those factory orange panels are hard to find.

whiplash889

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
youtube the gearstv by stacy david and he does n interior on a mazda for something like that with the dupilcolor from autozone with aheasion promoter i did it my self worked out great

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1