Anybody considered hacking up these panels to fit silverado trim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
These panels are probably decent enough, like most of the aftermarket panels. But I've yet to find any that are correctly embossed for Silverado trim. The door fabric, and all the metal looking stuff won't fit. The "trim" is already molded into the new panel. So I was thinking of buying a set and cutting them up.

To see if I could get the silverado trim to fit correctly, once I'd cut away the necessary material. Think it would work? Only thing that looks like it might give me trouble, would be the door handle cup. On the silverado, the door handle cup is a separate chrome piece. Maybe it's not like that on other models, dunno. But you'd have to cut that part out. You also have to cut out the piece above it, and below it. So you'll end up with a big gaping hole with 1/4 of the panel missing.

So how would it have to be done? Cut out the necessary pieces, then epoxy them in backwards on the opposite door panel? That way the real Silverado trim should fit in place. Cause now there's a slight recess. Or maybe the pieces you cut out should be ditched, and you use sheet metal to create the new recess for the correct trim to sit in. Any ideas?

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I did. I took the (Scottsdale) trim and inset it into the replacement panel.

K

You must be registered for see images attach

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Nice job looks like it worked out well for you.

Only thing is, I'd have one more thing to cut out. The area just above the armrest is fabric on the silverado. It's another insert, so it would that would have to be cut out. And I'm not sure how that would work out. Cause now the door handle part has nothing to stick to anymore.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I bought Coverlay door panels as they are designed like the Silverado panels. I haven't installed them yet, but I'm removing the 89-91 looking cloth insert that are glued on and installing the factory pieces. I'm going without door pulls on the Silverado door trim, similar to what I did on my '79 (Photo #3). I found them cheapest at Rock-auto a couple years ago.

https://www.coverlaymfg.com/series-1-coverlay-replacement-door-panels.html

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
i found a rare vinyl insert (insted of velour) and i made a good style door panel ;)

Attachments

• _DSC5213.jpg
    _DSC5213.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 56

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84