ow do you remove, treat, and slow down.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ole87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
The areas inside the door but on the cab side has a line of rust from top to bottom. If im looking at his correct, I would think there was originally some type of adhesive? Whats the best way / tool to use to remove. Then treat the area and replacing the adhesive if there was any in this area? My goal for now is to just slow the rust untl I can get around to completely doing a paint restore. Any thoughts or ideas on slowing down rust.

Also have rust spots elsewhere on the body. For giggles, I took some wet 2000 grit and and gently rubbed some rusty areas, and wow the surface rust came right off. Now, what do you use to treat that area to slow it down until a true sand and paint?

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 56

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
have heard you can clean area like that with clr,the household cleaner and delimer stuff, and it will remove the rust from the paint.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
That's weird - I've never seen a line of rust running down the door jamb like that. There is no seam there.

I almost looks as if the rust was originally on the door and, due to proximity to the jamb when closed, the jamb caught cancer too.

Ole87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
It's on both door jambs. There really isn't any rust on the door itself in that area. As you can see though, it is real flaky. While I also didn't think there was a seam there, I don't know if you can see in the pic, there looks to be some type of adhesive? It's not real hard, but yet is a little pliable.

Others said I could sand / grind it out and then use something like Eastwood Rust encapsulator. I think that only comes in black though? Which temporarily would be fine as my overall goal for now would be to slow the rust

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A hand held, portable bead blaster will clean it off real good if You have a compressor.
http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html

This is the on I would get, I have used this style before and it works very well.
http://www.harborfreight.com/garage...pper-gravity-feed-spot-blaster-gun-95793.html

I bought this one, mainly for cleaning up electrical connectors. It does work well but just needs refilling a bit more often.
http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/blaster-accys/gravity-feed-blaster-gun-93221.html

Ole87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Unfortunately no compressor. Looks like it will be an angle grinder and maybe a 60 grit wheel / pad.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
There is a seam there and that adhesive looking stuff is called seam sealer. A wire wheel on the end of a drill will clean it out. Then I would put some kind of converter/sealer on the remaining rust and then redo the seams with seam sealer.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-brush-on-seam-sealer-quart.html?srccode=ga220010&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=zzproduct_ads&adtype=pla&kw=&matchtype=&network=g&creativeid=15752128767&placement=&producttargetid=40408681047&gclid=CPX2lqqxsrkCFWpk7AodbTEAuQ

Ole87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thanks guys for all your responses. This gives me a great starting point. Someone else had recommended the Eastwood rust encapsulator. Will probably start with the grinding or wire wheel. Try the converter then sealer and a light prime. If the weather is ok this weekend, I am going to get started. Will try and post up some before, during, and after.

You guys have been very helpful. Makes a newbie feel welcome here!

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Wire wheel should do it, don't really need a grinder.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm