Outside door handle rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Thanks for the video, tadslc. It adds to the knowledge in this thread. I'm still good with my bailing wire fix, two years ago.
I’m impressed you were able to manipulate that bailing wire in such a tight space.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well I just completed this job yesterday.
Totally understand why GM went bankrupt a while back, what a horrible design.

I was just replacing the outside door handles, I guess ignorance is bliss.

The passenger side went well enough after watching 1/2 a dozen YouTube videos on that dang little clip.

The drivers side turned into a 3 hour ordeal due to the fact I committed the cardinal sin of losing the little clip.

Found a 30 pack on Amazon and finally got it back together. I just pray to god that my repro handles last a long time!

I'd also love to see how these were put together on the assembly line back in the day...

Tad

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Well I just completed this job yesterday.
Totally understand why GM went bankrupt a while back, what a horrible design.

I was just replacing the outside door handles, I guess ignorance is bliss.

The passenger side went well enough after watching 1/2 a dozen YouTube videos on that dang little clip.

The drivers side turned into a 3 hour ordeal due to the fact I committed the cardinal sin of losing the little clip.

Found a 30 pack on Amazon and finally got it back together. I just pray to god that my repro handles last a long time!

I'd also love to see how these were put together on the assembly line back in the day...

Tad
Absolutely agree! When I first got my Dually 4 1/2 years ago I decided to replace all 4 handles. I bought new, OEM handles from Rock Auto. If you think the normal doors are a pain in the neck (They ARE) don't ever attempt the rear doors on a 3+3 or Suburban :banghead: I ended up doing 3 of the 4 and just didn't go any further because it was such a PITA!! THEN, the driver rear door that I'd replaced lasted about a year before it failed again :flipthebird: The second time doing that job I literally got my dremel, opened up a little window near the latch in the door so I had clear shot at that clip, swapped handled, and welded that window back up again :Sumo: I love these trucks but I HATE how they designed that part.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike