Original engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dajn37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 scottsdale
Engine Size
Like I say. Money is strange with these things. I could easily get $2,000 for that bare 428 block in the pic. What can you get for a 350 block? $100? And obviously we all know 350's are great. It's just a strange deal.

Kim Burke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
My 79 has the original engine. It HAD to be rebuilt or LS’ed. I chose original equipment for the nostalgia’s sake. I ended up spending more on that engine than a swap. Replaced the TH400 with a built 700R4 for cruising. No real regrets, love the truck and after going to GoodGuys in Scottsdale, Sat., I’m not upside down in it yet.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Looking at the value of Ford engines compared to the SBC gets complicated because Ford had so many variations over the years. The SBC was a slow evolution of improvements and changes, with a lot of parts that easily cross over.

Just look at the Ford 351 where you have 351, 351C, 351W, 351M, 351 CobraJet and Boss 351. They are all based on the same general engine design, but many pieces and parts do not cross over easily. If someone needs specific parts for an engine build they are more valuable because they are harder to find. The FE engine also came in stock displacements from 332 to 428, so the value of a 1962 352 2 barrel (basic grocery getter) is much different than a 1969 428 Super CobraJet (solid lifters, high compression, good heads, etc.).

Bruce

WesN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I know my 81 has the original engine because I am the original and only owner and the only person to ever work on it. Currently under an extensive restoration but the engine is not coming out unless down the road it has to for repair.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Original engine here with the exception of a few mods. Looks like the exhaust manifolds were pulled when the previous owner put straight pipes on. I had the top end off doing a head gasket job.

Also waiting to finish my 5.3 swap. The Burb is so damn sluggish going up the mountain passes near me. I cant wait to yank the tbi/700r4 combo for an ls/4l60e. The original setup runs like a top, one of the smoothest engines I've heard in a while, just not enough mustard for me or the Mrs.

dajn37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 scottsdale
Engine Size
Original engine here with the exception of a few mods. Looks like the exhaust manifolds were pulled when the previous owner put straight pipes on. I had the top end off doing a head gasket job.

Also waiting to finish my 5.3 swap. The Burb is so damn sluggish going up the mountain passes near me. I cant wait to yank the tbi/700r4 combo for an ls/4l60e. The original setup runs like a top, one of the smoothest engines I've heard in a while, just not enough mustard for me or the Mrs.[/QUOTE
That's very true. As much as I like suburbans, I think we can all agree that nothing before the 5.3 in 1999 really moved them around all that well. As far as the half tons in stock form go anyway.

dajn37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 scottsdale
Engine Size
I want to rant a bit about vehicles with clearly undersized engines that came that way from the factory. I have driven many vehicles that have a gross vehicle rating of just under 26,000 pounds. And almost everyone has/had an undersized engine. To the point of being a hazard on the road. Those that have driven these vehicles know what I am saying. 30mph trying to merge onto the freeway. After holding it to the rug on the ramp. And what is the gain? Nothing. If your going to get horrible gas mileage, and the very least give me some power. The current truck I drive at work is a 2001 6500 gmc. It has an 8.1 in it and I generally weigh around 20,000 pounds. It can at least get out of its way but it's still severely underpowered. And that's an 8.1. They used to put 350's in buses and other heavy trucks that still just barely qualify for a class d license. It's not fun trying to drive around the metro with an engine setup that takes 2 miles to get up to 50 mph. End of rant.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones