ORD Swaybar quick disconnect kit...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
OK, been awhile since Ive really done anything to the truck. One of my biggest complaints has been its handling, especially at freeway speeds. Ive replaced the U/L ball joints-tire rod ends-drag link-steering arm-repacked bearrings-ORD steering box brace-ORD front shackles-calipers-balanced tires and Im still not happy.

Ill be replacing the setting box tomorrow and having a hd polyurathane rag joint put in as well. Hopefully that will help, or its onward up to the steering shaft.

In the meantime I added ORD's swaybay quick disconnect kit.

Drivers side OE
You must be registered for see images attach

Pass side OE

ORD kit...pretty stout as with everything else Ive gotten from them

Drivers side with kit...

Again Drive side..... note the pin has to go in from the inside.

Pass side... again, pin in from outside (same way bolts go in).

Pass side again. Notice the bracket on top of the bump stop. Remove both pins, rotate the swaybar up and use a pin to lock it into the bracket. Wheel on.

Install was simple. Just need a 1 1/8" socket/box end to remove two bolts then install the new supplied bolts. Takes less that 30min - that includes taking pics :)

I also ordered new bushings all around which added a few minutes to the job. Just need two 11/16" sockets/wrenches to remove 4 nuts/bolts. BTW, they were a PITA to do, top two mainly, just hard to get at. Added about another 30-45min.

Basically this kit rasies the swaybar up about 2". Probably wont help much on a stock vehicle, but repositioning the swaybar on a lifted vehicle seems to be appropiate.

First impressions: simple install and I definately feel an improvement in handling and ride quality. Im very satisfied.

Next up, long travel shocks using the F-250 mounts :)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Nice work! :grd:

Oldswrench

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
72 and 89
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
You should check this out maybe that will help!
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1812
But specifically what is the problem that you are experiencing with the way your truck handles? Is it pulling one way or the other, or is it unresponsive, or darty in the way in handles at hiway speeds? What is maybe someone can shed some light on it.
Mark

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
You should check this out maybe that will help!
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1812
But specifically what is the problem that you are experiencing with the way your truck handles? Is it pulling one way or the other, or is it unresponsive, or darty in the way in handles at hiway speeds? What is maybe someone can shed some light on it.
Mark

Ive read that thread quite a few times. Definately something Im looking into. Matter of fact the XJ shaft came up in another forum and I used a few of those pics, of course citing the source.

1) The steering box is toast. Spews fluid and is out of adjustment. I know I could rebuild it, but its actually easier for me just to replace it. Local company here http://www.benchworksteering.com/index.htm will be helping me and they claim to have a HD rag joint as well. I dont expect much of an issue after that, but if so I will have worked my way up the the steering shaft/column.

The problem isnt nearly what it used to be, but the only way I can describe it; is that is has a tendency to wander. If your not actively steering the slightest imperfection in the road will cause it to pull away.

When I was uploading the pics from today I actually found something that I think is suspect. Shims under the front springs, look to be 2* I think. I suspect those shims are making my front tires wobble like a shopping cart.

Im sure somebody put them in when the put the lift on to keep the drive line angle correct. But because I dont use 4WD a lot or at high speeds, they are unnecessary, IMHO.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Yea i would say it has the caster off.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The BDS springs on my Burb came with shims on them, I left them there. It handles the road fine at all speeds.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
What size springs - tires -front axle?

Oldswrench

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
72 and 89
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Maybe you need some more caster which would help the driveline problem as well.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They are 4 inch springs, the shims have the pinion pointed up. It's an 8-lug 10 bolt axle running 305/70/16's load range 'E' and usually running 50lbs on the road.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
When speaking with the guy that helped install the steering gear box today, older guy, sounds like he's been around awhile, shop and rigs on the lot indicated he knew his stuff....

...he said Rancho started that years ago on the pre '78 trucks? Prior to the NP205/208 at least. With out the shims guys were having their NP203s wearring out way too fast. According to him the shims are needed for the full-time 4WD rigs and really optional on the PT. By optional he means unless your running your rig in 4WD all the time. Something about the caster......

Yea i would say it has the caster off.

Maybe you need some more caster which would help the driveline problem as well.

Might help. Figure if im gonna half to drop the u-bolts to remove/adjust them, Im just going to pull them out and put in some ORD 1" zero rate blocks/leaves.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406