Okay another question about wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tubby0

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So on top of my intake (edelbrock) it looks like I have my temperate sensor near the thermostat housing but nothing is plugged into it. I do however have a wire plugged into my temp sending unit that should go to my temp gauge in my dash. The hitch is that my dash gauge isn't working. Anyway what I'm trying to figure it is how badly that temp sending unit needs to be hooked up or if possibly the comp is just hooked up to the sending unit instead

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
They might have just stuck that sensor in it because they couldn't find a plug to fit it. I know I did that once when I changed out an intake manifold on a Sunday. I forgot to buy a plug and no parts stores were open so I just stuck an old sensor in it.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
In 1984 (unless it was originally equipped with a California emissions package) the ECM did not use a coolant temperature input.

If you do have that type of ECM (Calif) there would have been 2 coolant sensors.

As you suspect, the one for the ECM was mounted adjacent to the thermostat. Sensors that input to the ECM are of the 2 wire type - because they require a segregated ground. The one that senses coolant temperature is connected to the ECM by a yellow/black pair.

The temperature sender that drives the dash indication (gauge or warning lamp) is normally screwed into the LH cylinder head between the 1 & 3 plugs.

It is grounded through the engine/frame. Consequently it requires only one lead. That lead is always green - in my experience anyway.

tubby0

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Oh cool, sounds like the consensus is that I don't need to worry about it. Now to get my gauge working!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP