Sniper Coolant Temperature Probe Location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farm truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Stock location for the dash gauge temp sensor is in the drivers side head where you found it, and it should be a green wire. It all looks correct. Some older iron heads had a 3/8” tapped hole, but newer 350 engines are usually 1/2”. My aftermarket aluminum heads have a 3/8” hole.

There is an identical tapped hole in the passenger side head and it works fine for a temp sensor. Its farther away from the thermostat, so it might be a little different temp than the other head, but that is usually not critical.

I am using a 195 degree high flow thermostat (Robert Shaw, IIRC) and it works very well to keep the engine at about 190-195. It already has a drilled bypass hole, and it’s designed to provide a larger opening to help flow. I am also using a high flow cast iron water pump.
Thermostat arrived yesterday! Thank you!

farm truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Boy am I a dum arse, or what?

All I need to do is to swap sensor locations; dash temp sensor from the current head location to the water neck port & sniper temp sensor to the head port. I don't care if the dash temp is not as accurate.

DUH is me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia