Oil sensor port

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
I can't get oil to stop leaking from the oil sensor port on the back of the motor. I have used thread tape with no success. Looks like I'm going to have to pull it out again, and use sealant this time. Problem is that I have to pull the distributor in order the get it out.

Anyone have this issue? How tight did you have to get it? What fixed it?
Dripping oil is getting very annoying.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Are you positive it's coming from the port and not the sending unit itself?

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Or from the back of the intake
I have seen them leak there

Last edited:

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Is it a sending unit or a line for a mechanical oil gauge

Last edited:

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Are you positive it's coming from the port and not the sending unit itself?

Definitely not coming from the unit itself as it's a brand new piece from Dakota Digital.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Or from the back of the intake
I have seen them leak there

Hmm, I suppose it could be coming from the back of the intake, but I'm almost certain it's the oil port. I can see and feel oil from the 1/4" extension that I have coming from the port.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hmm, I suppose it could be coming from the back of the intake, but I'm almost certain it's the oil port. I can see and feel oil from the 1/4" extension that I have coming from the port.

What is the extension made out of
if its brass could it be cracked ?

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
What is the extension made out of
if its brass could it be cracked ?

Brass. I'm going to pick up another one in the event that it is either cracked, or just not working. This time around I'll put a good amount of thread sealant on and hope that works.

Oil does oil come out of the intake manifold gasket? I'm new, but trying to understand how that would work.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Brass. I'm going to pick up another one in the event that it is either cracked, or just not working. This time around I'll put a good amount of thread sealant on and hope that works.

Oil does oil come out of the intake manifold gasket? I'm new, but trying to understand how that would work.

Yeah, the intake gasket set is typically in 4 pieces. The front and back are rubber seals the are notoriously difficult to get to set correctly. Very common to get a leak at the back.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Yeah, the intake gasket set is typically in 4 pieces. The front and back are rubber seals the are notoriously difficult to get to set correctly. Very common to get a leak at the back.

Gotcha. I watched a You Tube vid and the guy actually threw those rubber seals away and just put a 1/4" bead of RTV in place of those. He said they were notorious for leaks.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Gotcha. I watched a You Tube vid and the guy actually threw those rubber seals away and just put a 1/4" bead of RTV in place of those. He said they were notorious for leaks.

I've heard of a lot of people that swear by using rtv instead. I got thinking about it last night. I've never had a small block leak from the intake and I've always used the gaskets. The only reason I can think of, is that they were all assembled on engine stands, where I was able to get close enough to set the intake squarely down on the block. Dunno, maybe it was just blind luck, maybe it has to do with being able to make sure it gets set down evenly and squarely.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I've heard of a lot of people that swear by using rtv instead. I got thinking about it last night. I've never had a small block leak from the intake and I've always used the gaskets. The only reason I can think of, is that they were all assembled on engine stands, where I was able to get close enough to set the intake squarely down on the block. Dunno, maybe it was just blind luck, maybe it has to do with being able to make sure it gets set down evenly and squarely.

I have also had no problems with the rubber strips. I did use Gaskasinch to glue them down to the block and a dab of anaerobic sealer on each end for mine. I did do the silicone thing on the last intake I set with no issues as well.

80Steuck

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Dumb question but u said u pull your distributor every time to work on it. Is the gasket still on your distributor or is it torn possibly. Have seen guys forget to put one in before

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Yes or they don't realize the dizzy has a gasket and when you pull it out it falls off and drops to the ground never to be found again lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP