Oil pessure switch question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82gmc

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hey guys I am new to this forum. I just bought an 82 gmc c1500 two wheel drive with a stock 305 motor and TH350 tranny. My oil pressure guage is pegged out at 80. I looked at the switch and it has a frayed wire. My question is the oil pressure switch has two terminals but the connector has three wires. I want to replace both the switch and connector but can only find two wire connectors. Has anyone seen this kind of switch and connector before?

Thanks

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Usually the gauge has it's own switch ('sender' actually), up on top of the engine, right behind the distributor.

82gmc

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks I found it. I didn't know it had two oil senders. I was looking at the one above the oil filter.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hmmm, This makes me wonder, what switch is at the oil filter? I know there are some funky things that vary on year to year, but I wonder what this is. :shrug:

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Hmmm, This makes me wonder, what switch is at the oil filter? I know there are some funky things that vary on year to year, but I wonder what this is. :shrug:

Can't speak for the 82's, but my 87' had the gauge sender by the oil filter, and an oil pressure switch (provides backup power to the fuel pumps if the fuel relay fails) at the back of the intake manifold under the dizzy. On carb'd trucks, I think the oil pressure switch was used for the choke circuit (only runs the choke heater when there is oil pressure, i.e. running motor).

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I was aware of the 87 and the E fuel pumps, but wasn't sure on earlier models. That would make sense for the choke though too. If oil pressure isn't up, not to allow high idle and hurt the motor. I doubt they had safety override if oil pressure stayed to low to long it shut the motor down.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I was aware of the 87 and the E fuel pumps, but wasn't sure on earlier models. That would make sense for the choke though too. If oil pressure isn't up, not to allow high idle and hurt the motor. I doubt they had safety override if oil pressure stayed to low to long it shut the motor down.

Yeah, the older ones are used for the E choke circuit. In fact, I have been using my 86 2 prong switch on the last 2 EFI systems for the FP circuit. The one for my gauge is T'ed in with it, but that may be because I have the HD oil cooler.

ChevyBoy84

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10 silverado
Engine Size
trying to remove the oil pressure sending unit on my 87 to go to a mechanical gauge factory style sending unit will spin but not come out what do i do

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Have you tried the port above the Oil filter?

ChevyBoy84

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10 silverado
Engine Size
yeah i got it done, after fighting with the brass collar that the PO stripped so i had to attempt to seal it up and get it just tight enough that it didn't leak anymore:Nonono: i hate when people can't do things right its just so frustrating

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
yeah i got it done, after fighting with the brass collar that the PO stripped so i had to attempt to seal it up and get it just tight enough that it didn't leak anymore:Nonono: i hate when people can't do things right its just so frustrating

Yep, some people shouldn't be allowed to have tools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scawdrey