Oil Leak? Gear Oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
Ok, So today I decided to get under the truck and check everything out. I notice coming out of from under the dust cover (gravel gaurd) what seams to be oil, and on the bellhousing. What causes this? Intake gasket leak?, distributor leaking oil from the base?

New crate motor with 50 miles on it, surely it isnt the rear main?

I will try and post some pics this weekend and show yall.

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
sounds like an intake gasket but with a new motor it might be from the distrubitor base is were i would check first

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
To show up that soon (50 miles) would suggest a leak from a part of the oil system that is under pressure - as opposed to splashed/misted oil (intake manifold, distributor mount, valve covers, etc).

One place that sees pump pressure and can commonly leak to external is the oil sender christmas tree.

I'm not sure how you set up your oil senders but the image below shows a common configuration.

You must be registered for see images attach

There are 3 threaded connections and the fitting itself can crack. And, due to it's location, any oil leakage will run down the back of the block and on to the bell housing (and in between):

You must be registered for see images attach

It shows up right where you are seeing it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
A good quality digital camera comes in handy for investigating situations like this where it is hard to see

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
hah Yea, I am working a double today and tomorrow. I will try and get some up tmmrw evening or sunday

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06