Odd driveshaft vibration comes and goes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Edgerton

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
2 pc rear driveshaft, changed the centre u joint today as it was creating vibration, rusted in the cups. Now vibration up to 75 kph and above that it suddenly goes away. Foot off the gas at 80 and vibration returns. Next thing to check or just change the other 2 u joints?

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
How loose is the carrier bearing?
I change all u-joints at the same time. Logic - one took a ****, so it's friends can't be too far behind.

Khayward

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban SLE
Engine Size
I've experienced u-joints that were bad out of the box, but usually bad joints will be a problem at 50mph, rather than all the way up. Carrier bearing is worth checking into.

David Edgerton

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok, lifted the rear end. U joints are good at diff and trans. Center yoke, the rubber holder is quite loose in the bracket but tight on the shaft. Like the rubber shrank. I can move the driveshaft up and down about 1/8". No good right? Also noticed that the part that slips around the spine end has a wobble on the outside of the casting. Is this ok? The spline fit was tight and no play when I re assembled it. When up to speed, 1/4" wobble at the carrier location.

David Edgerton

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok worked on it again. Took all apart and reassembled to make sure. With rear driveline off the slip line at the carrier bearing I spun up the trans. No vibration or bend to the spline. Next looked at propeller joint, no binding at all. Moves cleanly.
Set end of the driveshaft yoke horizontal, slipped on the rear shaft on the spline, making sure the front end yoke was also horizontal.
Put on rear bolts. Lifted wheels off ground and spun up to 60mph. Vibrated like a bi--ch. The front yoke of the propeller shaft just rear of the spline slip joint has always not been parallel to the spline shaft. Visible wobbly.
Can this part wear out? Replace rear drive shaft?

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Both the slip yoke and spline do wear, not always at the same rate.
There should be absolute miniscule wobble on the slip yoke/spline unit.
If the U-joints are all good, and there is no slop in the carrier bearing assembly, and no wear on the yoke at the rear axle, I would take a REAL close look at the slip yoke/spline.
As long as the driveshaft isn't bent or otherwise damaged, a good driveshaft shop can replace the spline and rebalance the entire driveshaft, and all should be good.
I hope this helps .........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes