NP208 Rear output shaft bushing trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jp-15

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post. I've been reading and using the search function for a little while though. I've got an '86 k10 4x4. It's got the NP208 in it. I was getting a leak from the rear output shaft seal.

Wanting to do things right, I pulled the tail housing and decided to replace the bushing as well as the seal. I had a little trouble finding the bushing and seal kit at any local parts stores. Finally found it at carquest. National Part#5208. I used a hydraulic press to push out the old bushing. Not a problem.

When I went to put the new bushing in, it falls right through the hole. Took my dial caliper to both. Old bushing is 2.15", where as the new bushing is 1.95".

Went down to a different part store with tail housing in hand, and found another National Part#5208. Same issue. Any insight here? I've read that I may need to go to the GM dealer, and get an ACDelco. I've also read that you may have to jump through hoops to find the ACDelco bushing.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Joe

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I just went through the same problem, I ended up finding one at a GM dealer and it fit perfect

jp-15

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Went looking g all morning at every GM dealer I could find. Everyone says its a discontinued part. Finally found one dealer in York, SC. had to call and order it. What a nightmare. Says they are the only one in the U.S. with this bushing. WTF?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Went looking g all morning at every GM dealer I could find. Everyone says its a discontinued part. Finally found one dealer in York, SC. had to call and order it. What a nightmare. Says they are the only one in the U.S. with this bushing. WTF?

it is true its a discontinued part, lucky for you(and me) that these dealers still had some

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrettkeith