np208 leaking....new seals in order

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
k10 silverado, k10 suburban
Engine Size
My front output seal is leaking so I figured id reseal the rear output at the same time..

First question...when I drop the front shaft...will the flange yoke come out after removing just the one nut in the center? Obviously I can't get the old out and new in with yoke in place.

The rear slips out anyway so no problems there...

Is resealing as easy as it seems to be?

Corpse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
Has anyone done a 208 reseal? Mine pisses out fluid as fast as you can get it in!

big chevy

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
yes and its not to bad..

Tim K

Reaction score
First Name
tim
Truck Year
1987 GMC
Truck Model
V2500 Standard Cab, Long bed
Engine Size
350 TBI, TH400, NP208, Factory Locker 4.11
It's an easy fix. Drop the drive shaft, clean all the grease & dirt from around the drive shaft flange. Remove the flange nut and pull off the flange. R&R the seal. Put everything back. Note, do not remove the slip yoke from the drive shaft without marking them. The shaft is balanced and will be unbalanced if it does not go back together to exactly the same spline position.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Couple of details:

The yoke nut is supposed to be a one-use part. They really don't want it re-used. I re-use it and add a couple of drops of Loctite or centerpunch the nut/shaft interface. Your call.

The washer behind the nut is actually a seal - it's there to stop any seepage that occurs from between the OD of the output shaft and the ID of the yoke.

Torque spec for the yoke nut is 120 ft-lbs