Np205 tranfer case stuck in 2 hi "won't shift.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeffro

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 suburban
Engine Size
Hi all, I just finished doing a 3/4 ton ff r axle 3/4 10 bolt front axle lunch locker and 205 transfer case change over to my 86 k 10 suburban chevy 350/700r4 combo. The transfer case is used non rebuilt, and I'm having problems with the detents jamming up. it's stuck in 2 hi right now.Fresh oil in it, I tried running it on jackstands to un bind it to no avail. the only mod I made to the setup was extending the linkage to work with the existing shifter in the truck as I didnt want to cut another hole in the floorboard to accomodate the original shifter. Has anyone else on here tried using the 208 shifter with the 205? I know the detents are in reverse from the 208 plus the 208 shifter has a crossover pattern to it. I should still be able to operate the 205 with it. Or am I wrong in that it would work better with the original short throw shifter? underneath the slider combo I cannot move it by hand. I tried wd40 on the sliders but it takes taps with a hammer/slide hammer to move linkage frontt & back. any imput on this is greatly appreciated...

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Sometimes I have trouble with mine shifting in or out of 4WD even with the stock linkage. Usually I have to get it rolling just a few mph and bump the shifter. If it still wont shift I would have to assume your 208 linkage is not going to work. I would examine the spacing of the holes where the linkage attaches to the stock shifter, and the throw of the stock shifter and see if there is any difference at all.

Jeffro

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 suburban
Engine Size
Sometimes I have trouble with mine shifting in or out of 4WD even with the stock linkage. Usually I have to get it rolling just a few mph and bump the shifter. If it still wont shift I would have to assume your 208 linkage is not going to work. I would examine the spacing of the holes where the linkage attaches to the stock shifter, and the throw of the stock shifter and see if there is any difference at all.

Only major difference is the 208 arm is a little further up from where the factory mounting 205 shifter goes so I cut welded & extended the 205 linkage bar. Being that the 205 shifter is mounted so close to the sliders & the cross bar, I would tend to think there's better mechanical advantage & leverage potential. I admit I'm kind of going out of the box by doing this 208 shifter mod but i really didn't want to cut any additional holes in the floorboard to accomodate the original shifter. I might have to now.I should have serviced the sliders when I still had it out of the vehicle. First time messing wit the 205 so not very familiar with it's idiosyncrasies...

Jeffro

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 suburban
Engine Size
Well you were right Crazy4offroad ,the 208 shifter is not compatible. had to cut a hole in floorboard & revert back to original 205 shifter. Works like a charm now.Definitely has something to do with the mechanical advantage of the longer lever arm. thanks for the imput...

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
darn, was hoping to buy that 205 off ya. lol glad you got it set up.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Glad you got it figured out. Some things are really picky about the smallest details. I forget what I did but I broke the end off one of the little rods, something got bound and I tried to force it and snapped it. Put a replacement on and never had anymore trouble.
:cheers:

Jeffro

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 suburban
Engine Size
darn, was hoping to buy that 205 off ya. lol glad you got it set up.

Lol Thanks! tested it out on the stands running, gets all the detents now. I'll keep on the lookout for another 205 for ya. I would think 205's would be plentiful out in your neck of the woods.Ran across two sm465/205 setups at the local pick n pull two days ago out this way.you want a auto set up or stick?

Jeffro

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 suburban
Engine Size
Glad you got it figured out. Some things are really picky about the smallest details. I forget what I did but I broke the end off one of the little rods, something got bound and I tried to force it and snapped it. Put a replacement on and never had anymore trouble.
:cheers:

Definitely a learning curve on this end trying to combine equipment into another vehicle with design revisions but it all worked out. Next hurdle will be finding a Dana 60 front axle to swap in & eventually finish the basic drive line upgrades but I know that will take some time shopping around.. Thanks again for your imput! :cheers:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Lol Thanks! tested it out on the stands running, gets all the detents now. I'll keep on the lookout for another 205 for ya. I would think 205's would be plentiful out in your neck of the woods.Ran across two sm465/205 setups at the local pick n pull two days ago out this way.you want a auto set up or stick?

LOL was razzin on ya a bit. Was looking into a 6L80 to put with my LS when that happens, having an NP205 makes it a lot cheaper. Thats outta my budget now as I need to change the gearing on the truck. I'll put a shout out if/when that happens (yr or 2).

Thanks Though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly