NP205 Front Yoke U-bolt Strap Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Direly need the u-bolt strap kit for front yoke on np205. Would also take the straps/bolts for front of front driveshaft onto 10 bolt diff. Thanks guys

AND a yoke for my rear 10 bolt differential.

All very important, i got what i could locally, i need you guys!

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
205 front yoke should be bolts... right? It's a cardan joint attached to a flat plate that gets bolted to the 205 I thought

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
205 front yoke should be bolts... right? It's a cardan joint attached to a flat plate that gets bolted to the 205 I thought

no threads on the yoke itself, i think it's meant for a u bolt. Still learning this

sirweesarunch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the front driveshaft , the joint and the front unit thats bolted to the np 205.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Some 70's models I believe were the ones with the straps instead of a flange mount. This is a divorced dodge np205 but same difference, so he's correct in what he's asking for, if that is indeed what he sees.

What you couldn't find I would just go aftermarket, like the yoke and possibly the straps.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Direly need the u-bolt strap kit for front yoke on np205. Would also take the straps/bolts for front of front driveshaft onto 10 bolt diff. Thanks guys

AND a yoke for my rear 10 bolt differential.

All very important, i got what i could locally, i need you guys!

Pics of what you are working with would help. The front axle straps and bolts should be available at almost any parts store, same for the rear yoke. Although all of that would be cheap and easy to get from any pick-n-pull.

Some 70's models I believe were the ones with the straps instead of a flange mount. This is a divorced dodge np205 but same difference, so he's correct in what he's asking for, if that is indeed what he sees.

What you couldn't find I would just go aftermarket, like the yoke and possibly the straps.

I've never seen a squarebody 205 that didn't use a front cardan joint. Maybe there are certain models and years that had a standard yoke, but I've just never seen one. Hopefully the OP will post pics or an update of what he figured out.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
yeah i'm going to take some photos. like i said, i'm quite new to driveshafts/yokes, etc. i do know that long ago someone made the Jimmy into manual from automatic, but that shouldn't interfere with the front portion of transfer case, unless of course he swapped that too, i'm not sure

ALSO i had ordered a Dorman yoke for my rear diff online, and went to a local parts store for the straps for the front (i took the front driveshaft in) I definitely have the kit for the front shaft to front diff and he gave me bolts he "may think" will work and i went to go put them in and there's no thread; it needs a u bolt i think. If anyone has a late 80s Blazer/Jimmy with a 205 i wouldn't mind some pictures as to what you have going on

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
yeah i'm going to take some photos. like i said, i'm quite new to driveshafts/yokes, etc. i do know that long ago someone made the Jimmy into manual from automatic, but that shouldn't interfere with the front portion of transfer case, unless of course he swapped that too, i'm not sure

ALSO i had ordered a Dorman yoke for my rear diff online, and went to a local parts store for the straps for the front (i took the front driveshaft in) I definitely have the kit for the front shaft to front diff and he gave me bolts he "may think" will work and i went to go put them in and there's no thread; it needs a u bolt i think. If anyone has a late 80s Blazer/Jimmy with a 205 i wouldn't mind some pictures as to what you have going on

There's no telling what got put in with a swap. Pics will be key. It is almost assured that the transfer case was swapped out when it went from automatic to manual. There's a lot of combos that COULD have been in there to start and a lot of things that COULD have been swapped in. Is the front and rear diff stock?

The stock square body corporate 10 bolt fronts are U-bolts and have nuts on the back like this: https://www.drivetrainamerica.com/s..._Mu_LPja86cJ0gVbCwaoAcx4PP3KbE-oaAttzEALw_wcB

Some might have yolks that accept the regular straps and bolts as well, but it sounds like the one you got does not.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Both yokes on both differentials (GM 10-bolts) take straps; are both threaded. as i've said, later on tonight i'll take pictures and get them on here, i'll cover all yokes/meeting points. thanks again

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
I have one now actually, this is the rear of the 205, i believe the front will require the same, as it is not threaded

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I have one now actually, this is the rear of the 205, i believe the front will require the same, as it is not threaded

Yeah, if you have a yoke like that on the front driveshaft it will take the spicer u-bolt kit I linked in my previous post. The flat plate would have been stock, but your unit has obviously had some aftermarket modifications done when it was swapped to manual. It wouldn't have had that SYE kit on the rear either. Stock would have been a slip joint yoke.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Yeah, if you have a yoke like that on the front driveshaft it will take the spicer u-bolt kit I linked in my previous post. The flat plate would have been stock, but your unit has obviously had some aftermarket modifications done when it was swapped to manual. It wouldn't have had that SYE kit on the rear either. Stock would have been a slip joint yoke.
Weren't most np205 rears fixed yoke?

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
So i was able to get pictures sooner than expected:

Pictured first is the rear diff yoke, its stripped out and i have another one on the way, as mentioned above. Pictured after is the front drive shaft i was given: the last owner told me i needed a longer one, it wouldn't fit with the "new" lift. Gave me the old one anyway and hey, IT FITS. So he ran it without the front for a while so i have to clean the mud out of the front diff yoke threads and have the strap kit for that. So anyway, assuming the bulkier end goes to the transfer case, it looks like it may take u-bolts? i mean i guess it'll have to. Then after the transfer case photos are the front yoke. Help me figure out this mess! Last owner left me with a drive train mess!

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
If i can use my current driveshafts that would be best, especially being i spent $600 getting the rear one duplicated. The front, if i need to get a new one if you guys suggest new yokes/flanges, i understand. I want this done and i want it done right/to last. Open to all ideas

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk