NP 205 Input and bearing movement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big _Betsy_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350ci
I had my transfer case out today and I tugged and pushed on the input shaft and the shaft and bearing both moved a whole 0.25" in and out of the case together! Does anyone know this tolerance? I suspect I am way out and that I may have been sold a T case with a missing shim or collar in the case. Any ideas where to get this kind of info?

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Probably need to open it up. None of mine have anywhere near a 1/4" of play.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
There's an external snap ring around the input shaft bearing, this ring is pinched between the adapter and tcase body to hold everything in place. If you install the adapter that should make everything tight.

Also, the gasket between the adapter and tcase body should be thick. Many rebuild kits and/or gasket sets have a thin paper gasket - don't use it. The thick gasket doubles as a shim to hold the gap for the snap ring. Using a paper thin gasket could cause the adapter to crack when tightening because of the snap ring.

I'm sure other sources have it but Off Road Design sells the correct gasket.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
There should be a large snap ring that holds the bearing into the case as well as the small snap ring around the shaft itself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ