Noob Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smithy316

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
-
Truck Model
-
Engine Size
-
I'm looking to buy my first truck. I'm looking at a k10 or k5 blazer diesel. I know nothing about 4x4s or diesels because all my dad owns are fwd 4 door sedans. On the 4x4 topic, when I go to look at a truck how can I test it to be sure 4wd works properly? Also can someone explain manual locking hubs to me? Do you get out, lock them, then get back in and put it in 4hi? Why not just leave them locked? 4wd doesn't work if they're not locked right? 4high vs 4low? Anything else to teach me about 4wd? Thanks

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The age of what your looking will play a big role in a lot of your questions.

Early trucks like my 74 is a full time transfer case with a part time kit available. Other trucks have locking hubs which is exactly as you say. You don't want to run hubs locked as it puts more wear and tear on components and gas mileage will decrease.

Never owning a vehicle I'd say stick with gas over diesel.

smithy316

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
-
Truck Model
-
Engine Size
-
The age of what your looking will play a big role in a lot of your questions.

Early trucks like my 73 is a full time transfer case with a part time kit available. Other trucks have locking hubs which is exactly as you say. You don't want to run hubs locked as it puts more wear and tear on components and gas mileage will decrease.

Never owning a vehicle I'd say stick with gas over diesel.

I'd be looking mid-late 80s. The only reason I want a diesel is for the mileage. I couldn't afford to drive a truck on gas, even an early 2000s. I'm a full time high school student, working part time at Kroger.

Chuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crew cab
Engine Size
80s 6.2 diesel 3/4 4x4 4spd would be a great truck. I just installed the 6.2 and love it. Before with carb I always had problems and same with distributor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx