noisy power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
The owners manual from my 1986 truck says to use Power Steering Fluid

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The owners manual from my 1986 truck says to use Power Steering Fluid

Yep but that is the only reason that I have found so far to use power steering fluid over ATF.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I'm with Mad-O on this. ATF in the P/S system is fine - but P/S fluid in the automatic transmission is not.

Power steering fluid is basically the same blend as ATF. The primary differences are:

1. P/S fluid has some "seal swell" additives - to minimize external leakage at the pump shaft seal, gear box input shaft, pitman arm output, etc.

2. Some types of ATF have friction modifiers - that are of no use in a P/S system - but will cause no harm.

3. ATF is red

4. ATF is way cheaper

But, because the P/S system requires topping off so infrequently (and the entire system's capacity is so small), people just get sucked in and buy the expensive stuff.

The General Rule:

Generally speaking, if you're caught in a pinch or want to save money, you can use your manufacturer's recommended ATF in the power steering system -- but never, ever the other way around. The friction modifiers in transmission fluid won't hurt most power steering systems, but not having them will definitely hurt the transmission.

The only other good reason for using ATF only in the transmission; is as an aid to leak identification ( see difference # 3). If you have a puddle on your garage floor and the fluid color is red... you know immediately that it is from the transmission.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Exactly Jerry.

Im at year # 8 of running nothing but ATF and I have had absolutely no negative effects from using it.

I have replaced the steering gear and the pump but both were in need of changing 8 years ago and I only recently changed them out and have had no issues with the new parts.

I was thinking of using something like Valvoline's Max Life ATF because of the additives and seemingly lighter viscosity but I dunno

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Well I learned something new today. Thanks Jerry! I just always put PS fluid in the PS. I didn't know that ATF could be substituted for PS fluid.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Thanks should go to Mad-O really. He brought up the point initially - I just chimed in.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Thanks Jerry :)

Although its not like I invented the idea lol

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Well I learned something new today. Thanks Jerry! I just always put PS fluid in the PS. I didn't know that ATF could be substituted for PS fluid.
Depends on the vehicle though. Some like Honda would be a bad idea.

In the case of my truck my steering works much better after flushing out the atf that was in it, hence my feeling on atf vs PS fluid. But for the most part the manufacturer recommended certain fluids for a reason IMHO.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
My steering gear box is pretty much the same unit that goes on the front of a new Peterbilt. Guess what Peterbilt recommends ? ATF!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
From the Maintenance section for Saginaw Rotary Valve Type Power Steering Gears - per GM shop manual:

CHECKING FLUID LEVEL

1. Run engine to normal operating temperature, then shut it off. Remove reservoir filler cap and check oil level on dipstick. Level should be up to ``Full'' mark on dipstick.

2. If level is low, add power steering fluid to proper level on dipstick and replace filler cap. When adding less than one pint of fluid, it is permissible to use automatic transmission fluid. When adding larger quantities or when making a complete fluid change, it is recommended that special power steering fluid be used.

3. When checking fluid level after system has been serviced, air must be bled from the system as outlined under ``Bleeding System.''

I think it would be safe to assume that the reason GM recommends the use of P/S fluid - when doing a complete system change - is because of the seal conditioning additives mentioned above. This is probably more important if any major components (with seals) have been changed - rather than when just replenishing after a flush.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Do you upload your own smiles ? That ones awesome I can only post real simple ones from the default list of smiles

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Do you upload your own smiles ? That ones awesome I can only post real simple ones from the default list of smiles

X2. I could really use that one on a different forum I'm on.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size

Look on the smilies list below the bottom left one is the word more. Click on it and there is a whole page of symbols, including the dead horse one.:)

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Look on the smilies list below the bottom left one is the word more. Click on it and there is a whole page of symbols, including the dead horse one.:)

Yes! there's so many more options when you click the more button:party36:haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pistol85