No turn signals please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86k15383

Reaction score
First Name
james
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Ok I have a 86 gmc k1500 and I am doing after market guages cuz I just put a 383 in it. First I cut out the small guages side of the cluster for all my Temps and volt meter and left in the big speedo and tank level guages in. The turn signals worked then but today I took out the cluster all together and put in a 5 inch tach and I also redid some wiring by the battery and rewrapped the main harness cuz it was falling apart. I started it up and went for a drive and when I got back I realized I had no turn signals. Do I have to have the cluster for my turn signals to work? Or could it be a bad ground somewhere?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I realized I had no turn signals.

They don't light up at all - or they light up, but don't blink?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Use a meter to verify hot lead...., possibly a loose ground

86k15383

Reaction score
First Name
james
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
The grill lights do light up but they do not bink.. and the rears don't blink either.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Flasher relay...under dash.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Do I have to have the cluster for my turn signals to work?

The open/close action of the flasher relay is dependent on sufficient total current flow in the directional lights circuit. Without getting into too much detail, the proper current flow is required to make the bi-metallic strip operate (i.e. snap the contacts open/closed).

So, to answer your question;

Yes, the cluster may need to be wired up. This is because the two indicating lights in the cluster (that are now disconnected) are no longer contributing to the total circuit load. That might be the cause of the problem. Even though they are small, their loss may have been enough to reduce the current flow to a point where the b-metallic strip won't heat up and open the contacts.

Different flasher relays operate at different loads. Try switching the emergency flasher with the directional flasher and see if it works. If not, try reconnecting the cluster for a minute and then try again.

86k15383

Reaction score
First Name
james
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Ok thank you I will try it tomorrow. Is there another way to hook it up if it only works with the cluster cuz I deffinetly don't want the cluster in there. I saw on another forum some where of a guy that put all auto meter guages in like I'm doing. He must have ran in to the same problem

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Ok thank you I will try it tomorrow. Is there another way to hook it up if it only works with the cluster cuz I deffinetly don't want the cluster in there. I saw on another forum some where of a guy that put all auto meter guages in like I'm doing. He must have ran in to the same problem

You could add some small indicator lights in the dash to increase the load on the circuit. Or find a different flasher as suggested. I think the 224 flasher has a lower operating current than the 552 flasher. I suppose you could also add a resistor to each side to increase the load as well. I think if you measure the resistance of a bulb you could find the right ohm resitor to use.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

You know what you could also do is replace the flasher relay with an LED relay. They operate at lower voltages and will run lights with lower current draw (LEDs) should you decide to use them in your signals in the future.

The 552 flasher is one of these. It should do well for you.

86k15383

Reaction score
First Name
james
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
You know what you could also do is replace the flasher relay with an LED relay. They operate at lower voltages and will run lights with lower current draw (LEDs) should you decide to use them in your signals in the future.

Thanks I will try it. I have been so busy lately I havnt had time to get in there and mess with it. I'll let you know how it works out

86k15383

Reaction score
First Name
james
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size

And where can I get those 552 led flashers

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You can walk into a NAPA store and get one or order one on their website. Just use the search bar with "552 flasher".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Her is a bit of flasher info......

Attachments