NO Spark...... TBI 88 GMC 5.7 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhelms83

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 5.7 TBI
No, the question that you DONT ask,,is the stupid one...you are learning.
If you can, clamp it to the base or stem of the distributor, under the cap.
nothing.....

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ok, so , just to recap, because I have to go stare at some diagrams.
You do have fuel...SPRAYING FROM THE INJECTORS while somebody cranks the engine.
You do have a check engine light that comes on when you turn the key on, and you were able to only get code 12.
Was there any work done to the vehicle prior to this?
when was the aerosol overhaul done(orange paint)? and you have checked all the fuses,,ign...ecm...ecm2/b...gauge idle.

mhelms83

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 5.7 TBI
Ok, so , just to recap, because I have to go stare at some diagrams.
You do have fuel...SPRAYING FROM THE INJECTORS while somebody cranks the engine.
You do have a check engine light that comes on when you turn the key on, and you were able to only get code 12.
Was there any work done to the vehicle prior to this?
when was the aerosol overhaul done(orange paint)? and you have checked all the fuses,,ign...ecm...ecm2/b...gauge idle.
i dint get any codes from the check engine light. ive owned the truck for 2 1/2 years and have never seen the check engine light, even when i tried testing the ECM. the motor was replaced with a new crate motor about 7 years ago, it has 56xxx miles on it. trans replaced when i bought it.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
i dint get any codes from the check engine light. ive owned the truck for 2 1/2 years and have never seen the check engine light, even when i tried testing the ECM. the motor was replaced with a new crate motor about 7 years ago, it has 56xxx miles on it. trans replaced when i bought it.

Ok, but you DID see fuel from the injectors, right?
and where were you looking for spark...preferrably from the top of the coil?

Last edited:

mhelms83

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 5.7 TBI
Ok, but you DID see fuel from the injectors, right?
and where were you looking for spark...preferrably from the top of the coil?
yes there's fuel from the injectors, and bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, my right side of my body confirms there's spark from the coil.:)

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
yes there's fuel from the injectors, and bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, my right side of my body confirms there's spark from the coil.:)

Hah! wtf did we do!? ****.

mhelms83

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 5.7 TBI
Hah! wtf did we do!? ****.
a hate to ask this but could the damned rotor button be the issue? its pretty much the onlt thing that hasn't been replaced!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
a hate to ask this but could the damned rotor button be the issue? its pretty much the onlt thing that hasn't been replaced!

It could be...get us a pic of it, and lets see the way your wires are routed now...this is the last stretch i think, then you may be drivin'!

mhelms83

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 5.7 TBI
It could be...get us a pic of it, and lets see the way your wires are routed now...this is the last stretch i think, then you may be drivin'!
ok its a bit late here on the east coast, and ive dove into a bottle of evan williams! ill post the pics in the AM. Thanks again for all the help!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
ok its a bit late here on the east coast, and ive dove into a bottle of evan williams! ill post the pics in the AM. Thanks again for all the help!

sounds good...have a great night!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Shiiiiit, The rotor hasn't been replaced???? Hollllllllllllly **** Guys !!!! I kid you not, we have one our locksmiths, an old dust fartin man, about 70 yo with a 94 1/2 ton Chevy Van. He breaks down, calls us for a tow of course since they share our building and we trade favors, they do some of our lockouts etc, actually both biz owned by the same persons.
I ask, WTF is wrong with the Van and where you at? He tells me, and says its needs button. I said, A button??? For what??? He saiid, under some cap or something. So get there, he points to the dizzy and says there is a button under there that goes bad about every 3 or 4 years. I said OH BS, hook it up, get it back to the shop. I pulled the dizzy, the rotor cap looks fine, Not a damn thing wrong with it. This old guy shows up with his wife and a new rotor. I'll be damned, put it on and it started right up. This was like the 3rd or 4th time this has happened to him in the 12 years he's owned the van and knew exactly what it was. Mind you, the rotor looked fine to me.

I'd just about say, that is the problem here too. I didn't realize that hadn't been replaced yet.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Shiiiiit, The rotor hasn't been replaced???? Hollllllllllllly **** Guys !!!! I kid you not, we have one our locksmiths, an old dust fartin man, about 70 yo with a 94 1/2 ton Chevy Van. He breaks down, calls us for a tow of course since they share our building and we trade favors, they do some of our lockouts etc, actually both biz owned by the same persons.
I ask, WTF is wrong with the Van and where you at? He tells me, and says its needs button. I said, A button??? For what??? He saiid, under some cap or something. So get there, he points to the dizzy and says there is a button under there that goes bad about every 3 or 4 years. I said OH BS, hook it up, get it back to the shop. I pulled the dizzy, the rotor cap looks fine, Not a damn thing wrong with it. This old guy shows up with his wife and a new rotor. I'll be damned, put it on and it started right up. This was like the 3rd or 4th time this has happened to him in the 12 years he's owned the van and knew exactly what it was. Mind you, the rotor looked fine to me.

I'd just about say, that is the problem here too. I didn't realize that hadn't been replaced yet.
Yeah, I thought it was done with the cap and wires.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, I thought it was done with the cap and wires.

As I said above, it's going to be one of those stupid simple minor things that you'll say, I should have thought of that. I'd almost but not quite, be willing to bet real money it's the damn rotor cap. It's that or down to the ECM cuz I don't think an ESC module would keep it from starting if bad, but I am wondering why he hasn't ever seen a Check Engine light now.

mhelms83

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 5.7 TBI
im goin to slap myself REALLY hard if that's the problem! The rotor button looks fine and my 65 yo buddy concurred (age= knowledge). ill swing by napa 1st thing in the AM and grab one up.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 141

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
im goin to slap myself REALLY hard if that's the problem! The rotor button looks fine and my 65 yo buddy concurred (age= knowledge). ill swing by napa 1st thing in the AM and grab one up.

well, either way, I think we have had a pretty good tour of the TBI ignition system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512