no spark on 2 cylinders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colektm364

Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
This is my first post here..
Going down the road the other day headed to work and my truck starts running like crap. It is a 1987 silverado with a carb set up with the normal performance goodies. This a new crate motor. It will run so I dripped water on the header tubes one at a time and found that the #2 and #8 cylinders are not firing. The plugs are about 2 years old so I changed them and it still has a bad miss so I pulled the 2 plug wire off at the cap and the spark looked weak and yellow, the same on #8. So i thought the coil, at this point while im in there i wanted to up grade anyway so I put on a Accel super coil, cap and rotor and new 8mm wires. After all that it still is not firing on #2 and #8 What am I missing? It has ran great up to this point!

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Cap & rotor is what I would have replace before the coil. You may also want to check the pick-up coil. It has contact points and like a reluctor ring, down deep in the distributor, under the ignition module. If only 2 or 3 cylinders are dead those are the 2 things I would think are having a problem.

colektm364

Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
But wouldnt the pick up coil make it a random miss fire and not the same two cylinders? I am waiting for it to cool down so I can take a compression test and also check for a loose rocker arm nut on that bank

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The coil would be random, and so would the ignition module, but things that would be more consistent would be plug, wire, cap/rotor, and pick-up coil. Good luck and post back what you find.

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
check your continutiy thourgh the cap and the wires

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
check your continutiy thourgh the cap and the wires

Take the cap off and check for play in the shaft, and do a compression check on those 2 cylinders.
Spark looks different out in open air, than it does under compression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman