No power to dash!! hELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcos
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
*quick update

-blazer starts still needs slight pressure on the column to make contact but I can live with it for now

-all lights function properly including hazard lights after replacing both flasher relays

-still no power to radio or heater controls. Both fuses appear to be good? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot these areas?

Again thank u everyone for your assistance, almost got this all straightedges out

Marcos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcos
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Say you had burned out all the elements in the resistor assembly (not unreasonable in light of the casualty), you would have no reduced blower speeds. But since power for blower HI speed operation by-passes the resistor stack, that should still be available.

*ok I noticed something at the junction box. The fusible link that I removed had a type of washer that covered both studs on the junction box which would feed power to the red wire going towards blower relay. When I replaced the fusible link I did not reuse this piece. So I just put it back on and now I have power to the high speed on the heater. Based on the comment above I’m assuming I may need a new resistor assembly to regain control to the lower speeds?

Marcos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcos
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Just added new resistor but still only have blower turning on high speed.

Marcos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcos
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Another quick update, replaced both blower resistor and relay and still only works on high also no radio either. I’m starting to wonder if maybe something to do with acc position in the ignition switch? Even tho I removed and reinstalled several times? I have no idea what else to check

Marcos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcos
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Kind of a dumb question but will my acc options still work if I fried my alternator? I know I can start the vehicle with a fully charged battery and the alternator won’t charge it up if it’s bad but just wondering if that could cause radio and other items connected to acc to not operate?

Marcos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcos
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
does anyone have any other suggestions on this? the only thing I haven't tried is to test the wires going into the fuse box as Chengy recommended. Im starting to wonder if I bought a defective ignition switch.

Even tho the high speed on the blower goes off a different circuit than the lower speeds im guessing that my ignition switch would be working if im getting power to the high speed correct and also my signals which would also only work with the key in acc or on position?

this issue has me pulling out my hair. Thought I was on the right track with the resistor and relay but still not working properly. I found an older post where Chengy posted a diagnosing chart which I followed but still no success

Marcos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcos
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Almost Solved!!!

Today I pulled the radio and replaced a fuse that was behind the unit. Radio is back in action

Wipers work, all lights and signals work jimmy starts

*heater still only operates on high after replacing both resistor and relay.

After digging around I found some wires that have been cut I’m assuming for the ac which is in inoperable on this vehicle. Wondering if these wires may affect any of the speeds at the hvac control?

The original owner cut these wires and removed some parts for the ac I’m not sure if the different speeds were ever functional since I’ve owned it

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Marcos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcos
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
any ideas on the lower hvac speeds?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Sorry I missed this before. Most aftermarket radios have a fuse in the back.

And yes, those cut wires will cause the blower not to work on all speeds. That picture looks familiar though... Must have been another thread about that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20