No high beams or high beam indicator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adamds86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Hello all...scratching my head here....I pulled the gauge cluster apart in my 1973 GMC K25 and when I put it back together, turned on headlights, low beams work but high beams don't and now the high beam indicator doesn't light up either.
Could it be the foot switch or the headlight switch itself, or even the headlights? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
What happens when you switch to high beam? I would check for power out of the low/high switch and go from there. Should be the light green wire.

Attachments

• headlights.jpg
    headlights.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 109

Adamds86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
What happens when you switch to high beam? I would check for power out of the low/high switch and go from there. Should be the light green wire.

When I switch to high beams, the headlamps go dark, and no high beam indicator on the speedometer. All of the other lights work, there isn't any blown fuses or anything like that. I will check on the power coming out of the foot switch tonight and post my findings. Thanks

Adamds86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Ok...figured it out...previous owner had spliced in a switch to turn the lights off under the dash (probably for a plow) and it must have shorted out internally and wouldn't send power to the high beams...I took out the switch and everything works

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I've always put two SPDT Mini ISO relays in the engine compartment that swap the ground from the main to the plow lamps and back depending on the position of a SPST switch. The relay rest positions are the main lamps so if there's a failure it defaults to the mains.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man