no brake lights, tail lights, or blinkers...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Follmer

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Cummins 12v
I have an 85 dually I recently have been restoring and just got the box back from the body shop. Went to splice in the wiring for the brake, tail, and blinker lights and I don't have any power to these wires.

I followed the wiring harness along the frame rail and it appears there isn't any cuts in the wiring. I have been reading and I found it may be the turn signal indicator switch? Would like to find some diagnostic advice before I start tearing the steering column apart. Is there a way to test light and know that it in fact is bad?

Any help is appreciated!

Follmer

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Cummins 12v
Ok I ended up getting the wires hooked up and everything worked! Then I went for a drive and I thought I smelled something getting warm, stopped to check it out and couldn't pin point what it was but nothing was smoking... Drover down the road a little further and boom it just died.

No ignition power at all. Clearence lights still work but I don't have any brake or blinkers now. Checked fuses and they are all good... This seems like a mess now! Any idea where to start looking?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
First, what works and what doesn't? Most likely a fusable link but somthing caused it to let go so you will need to find it. I wouls suggest getting a hold of a wiring diagram. there may be one available on this site otherwise search on google for one. Once you know what works and doesn't work you can start narrowing down the opening in the circuit and the cause of it like a short or somthing. Just be meticulous about it.

Follmer

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Cummins 12v
I had all my lights working. Went to drive the truck to town and thought I could smell warm wiring but couldn't see any smoke and looked under dash and nothing smelled hot. Proceeded down the road about 200 feet and the wipers freaked out and were engaged a unbelievable fast pace. Then they shut off and 20 seconds later I lost all ignition power, ultimately shutting off the truck.

Fuses checked out but I don't have any ignition power at switch and no brake lights or blinkers and also no wipers. These have to be tied in together somewhere but not sure where to begin this mess.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Is there any power at the fuse panel at all? How about the pink wire to the ignition switch?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP