New wheels for 86

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KennedyHill

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have an ‘86 square body. I’m looking to lower my truck, just a little. I want it to have a cruiser stance (I’m not sure if that’s a thing), but I think I’m looking for a 4” drop in the rear. It’s stock right now and I want it leveled out. What size wheels can I install that will fill out the wheel wells and not rub. I do not want to modify the wheel wells. Thanks!

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
No idea what drop or wheel he has but I’m a fan of @TotalyHucked truck. Not too low, good ratio of wheel to opening, looks like drivability wasn’t sacrificed for the look.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Aw shucks, thanks @CalSgt!

@KennedyHill if you're wanting something mild, a 2" rear shackle will get the truck pretty level with the front. You'll have to trim the bed support for the shackle to clear but it's pretty simple. That with a 245/60/15 and 275/60/15 tire combo on the stock rallies or steelies, or even a 255/60/15 all around, that is a pretty traditional squarebody look. However, don't be surprised if you want more haha. Here's a picture that shows you what roughly 2" in the rear looks like, I believe he's just on stock 235/75/15s.
You must be registered for see images attach

A 4" rear drop is honestly more of a pain than it's worth. The rear would end up lower than the front and the only good way to do that is moving your stock spring hangers which involved knocking out rivets. Since you'd then have to do something up front, you might as well do your standard 4/6 drop. That is the standard of the squarebody world lol. Tire size then just depends on what wheels you wanna run. This is my truck when I first bought it with 2.5" spindles, 1 coil cut on big block springs, rear flip kit (6") and 245/40/20 and 275/45/20s.

Same setup, just stock 8" rallies with 235/75/15s. Really liked this setup, but wasn't low enough for me and it scrubbed like a MF'r on the inner fenders. Really needed more like a 245/60/15 in the front.

And then now, I'm roughly 5 or 5.5" up front (I've never measured, I just kept trimming the springs till I was happy) with the same 2.5" spindles and stock half-ton springs trimmed (went back to half ton springs when I did the LS swap, the big block springs were too stiff). The rear is the same 6" flip but now paired with a 2" drop shackle for around 8". So I'm 5/8ish now with 20x8 and 20x10.5s with a 255/40/20 and 315/35/20 tire. I do have SloshTubz up front now which were a life saver.

KennedyHill

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Aw shucks, thanks @CalSgt!

@KennedyHill if you're wanting something mild, a 2" rear shackle will get the truck pretty level with the front. You'll have to trim the bed support for the shackle to clear but it's pretty simple. That with a 245/60/15 and 275/60/15 tire combo on the stock rallies or steelies, or even a 255/60/15 all around, that is a pretty traditional squarebody look. However, don't be surprised if you want more haha. Here's a picture that shows you what roughly 2" in the rear looks like, I believe he's just on stock 235/75/15s.

A 4" rear drop is honestly more of a pain than it's worth. The rear would end up lower than the front and the only good way to do that is moving your stock spring hangers which involved knocking out rivets. Since you'd then have to do something up front, you might as well do your standard 4/6 drop. That is the standard of the squarebody world lol. Tire size then just depends on what wheels you wanna run. This is my truck when I first bought it with 2.5" spindles, 1 coil cut on big block springs, rear flip kit (6") and 245/40/20 and 275/45/20s.

Same setup, just stock 8" rallies with 235/75/15s. Really liked this setup, but wasn't low enough for me and it scrubbed like a MF'r on the inner fenders. Really needed more like a 245/60/15 in the front.

And then now, I'm roughly 5 or 5.5" up front (I've never measured, I just kept trimming the springs till I was happy) with the same 2.5" spindles and stock half-ton springs trimmed (went back to half ton springs when I did the LS swap, the big block springs were too stiff). The rear is the same 6" flip but now paired with a 2" drop shackle for around 8". So I'm 5/8ish now with 20x8 and 20x10.5s with a 255/40/20 and 315/35/20 tire. I do have SloshTubz up front now which were a life saver.
I really like the stance on your truck. I was wondering if 20’s would fit my truck without any modifications. The stock stance is nice with a slight rake in it. What wheels are those in the 3rd pic? Those are the style I’m looking for.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
I have an ‘86 square body. I’m looking to lower my truck, just a little. I want it to have a cruiser stance (I’m not sure if that’s a thing), but I think I’m looking for a 4” drop in the rear. It’s stock right now and I want it leveled out. What size wheels can I install that will fill out the wheel wells and not rub. I do not want to modify the wheel wells. Thanks!
Yes, liked TotalyHucked says a 2” rear drop will Level the truck.
Here’s a 2” drop on my C1500

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
What one man thinks is cool, another man laughs & gags!

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I really like the stance on your truck. I was wondering if 20’s would fit my truck without any modifications. The stock stance is nice with a slight rake in it. What wheels are those in the 3rd pic? Those are the style I’m looking for.
Look like American Racing Torque Thrust II’s

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
They're American Racing Torque Thrust II's. They make them polished like that, chrome and with old school gray centers with a polished lip (which is my preference). These are my buddy Brian Harrison's builds, he uses a staggered 18x8 and 20x10 gray center setup on nearly every build

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knep115