New Suburban, Some Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Altemose

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
1986, 1991
Truck Model
C1500 "E.T.", R1500 Suburban "Silvy"
Engine Size
305 "E.T.", 350 "Silvy"
Hello!

On Saturday night I brought home my first vehicle, a 1987 GMC Suburban R2500. After getting it home I found some leaks and issues I must resolve. The first has to do with the charcoal vapor canister. Looking at the top I only have two of the three hoses attached. On left hose, I have a giant cut in it where an animal must of chewed it. Where can I get a replacement hose? I only need the small flexible section that connects from the canister to the hard line.

The middle connector is completely empty and I am not sure if I should re-install hoses for it. Where would that go and what hose would I use? The third connector (right) appears to be in good condition but covered in power steering fluid thanks to my high pressure line. It idles poorly so I cleaned the idle air control valve but it still seems a bit rich judging by the smell.

There is a lot of work to be done to the Burb, but I am confident that by the end of summer I will have the rust repaired and it running well!

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Older TBI units are known to have issues with fuel injectors and fuel pressure regulator causing poor running condition. Also vacuum leaks are a likely culprit. Auto part stores sell replacement vacuum hose

Altemose

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
1986, 1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
305 "E.T.", 350 "Silvy"
Older TBI units are known to have issues with fuel injectors and fuel pressure regulator causing poor running condition. Also vacuum leaks are a likely culprit. Auto part stores sell replacement vacuum hose

So I should just take the hose and ask for a replacement? What should the middle connector on my charcoal canister go to?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
So I should just take the hose and ask for a replacement? What should the middle connector on my charcoal canister go to?

Look for the vacuum routing sticker under the hood or get cozy with google for a while and you will find tons of info on your truck.

Altemose

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
1986, 1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
305 "E.T.", 350 "Silvy"
I found that the middle is a vent port. The one with the cut hose goes to the fuel tank so I will replace that hose right away. I have to do a new tranny pan gasket, tail shaft seal, oil cooler line, power steering line, and a few other things before she is ready for daily driving.

Altemose

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
1986, 1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
305 "E.T.", 350 "Silvy"
I found the idle issues to be caused by a faulty coolant temperature sensor. Still have a power steering leak to figure out and my AC compressor makes noise even when off. Can I oil the compressor?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpickett1981