New steering column options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paolotvl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paolo
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 - Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
One of the first thing I modified in my truck when I got it last year was the steering column. Since I'm a big guy I needed more room between the steering wheel and the seat so I bought a modified steering column from a website with very good reputation. It is a modified steering column this guy probably got from a junkyard. It took me forever to get to install it and when I did, last summer, I realized that it had several issues. The ignition switch would rotate with the key out, the shifter felt very sloppy, the backup light would not work properly and I could not get the horn to work since the "new" steering wheel was slightly different from the original and i couldn't use the existing horn parts with the new steering column. But I finally had the room I needed. I guess I wasted $400. After a few weeks the steering column was installed, the ignition switch problem disappeared, probably the mechanism was stuck and by using it, it started working again. Then yesterday I decided to fix the backup light: it would turn on momentarily while shifting from park to R. I did some research and the fix seemed easy: just reach down on the steering column and rotate the switch all the way to the right and the backup light switch swould self adjust. I tried and to get it to work it took me several tries. At the end the backup light still doesn't work but the problem of the ignition switch rotating without the key came back. So, I guess I need to actually look for a decent steering column to solve all these issues at once,
Do you know who makes BRAND NEW customized tilt steering columns about 5" shorter than the original for a 1987 chevy truck?? Any suggestion is very welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:

paolotvl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paolo
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 - Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I asked the flame river guys and for the basic version they want $900...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Brother man you are not going to get 5" shorter for one of our trucks anywhere. I had to customize my column, and the best I could do was 3". I'm 6'5" I needed it to be closer to the dash just for my arms. When I did my column this site was not around, so I didn't take pics or anything. I can explain it if you want. I may just do another one so I can take pics, showing step by step.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85