new starter woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
After i put in a new mini high torque starter im still having some issues. Every so often it will not turn over, but if i roll the truck forward some and let clutch out itll move engine some then start up. Acouple of times the starter will turn over stop then wind up or spin not engaging the flywheel and i have to pull the battery cable to stop it ...idk if its a bad starter or other issue with old wiring...ignition... grounds ...idk

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The first two scenarios below would seem to point to a external wiring issue (i.e. the starter is getting enough juice to pull in the solenoid and engage the flywheel but it is starved for enough amperage to turn the engine over)

Every so often it will not turn over, but if i roll the truck forward some and let clutch out itll move engine some then start up.

A couple of times the starter will turn over stop then wind up

But when I see this - I would have to cast my vote for a bad starter (i.e with internal wiring problems):

or spin not engaging the flywheel and i have to pull the battery cable to stop it

I don't know enough about the design of high-torque mini starters to speak with any authority, but it certainly sounds like the solenoid is hanging up - in both directions.

Remember, in addition to engaging the Bendix/pinion (on the way in) it also closes the big heavy duty contacts that supply the starter windings with full battery current. If it isn't shuttling properly - those contacts either don't close (or more likely, they just barely make contact). Without a good hard face to face connection, the contacts quickly become pitted and that causes the already low amperage - from weak pressure - to get even worse.

I would assume that the Bendix/pinion assembly is also hanging up (on the way back out of the engagement) after the ignition switch is released from the START position. In this case the power across the main contacts is still allowed to reach the starter winding and so the motor continues to spin.

Whatever the case, it would be wise to pull the starter and inspect the flywheel ring gear teeth. It is very likely that they are getting chewed up - and not allowing the pinion to quickly and fully back out. Plus - you don't want to mess up the ring gear. You'll either be looking at changing the flywheel (or be spending a lot of time on your back cleaning them up with a file).

Just my thoughts - I could be way off base.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Thx for the input. My wiring is crap so rotted you can pick it off with you fingers. That maybe part of the issue im looking at the painless harness ill probly get it. Ive wanted to for a long time but now might as well get it. im not selling her anytime soon ...as in this lifetime.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Brought truck over to the parts store i got the starter from they tested it, it was bad 350 amp draw. Ordered a new one well see if it another one works out. Also still want to replace entire wire harness so still doing it just later then sooner. Maybe by end of year

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm