new resistor but no blower...why?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ill hafta buy one
Logic probes are helpful too. They've come down in price. That's my tool of choice in these situations. They have a green LED for ground signals and a red LED for 12v the will have 2 clamps that hook to the battery.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Logic probes are helpful too. They've come down in price. That's my tool of choice in these situations. They have a green LED for ground signals and a red LED for 12v the will have 2 clamps that hook to the battery.
Oh damn thats handy

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
That sucker have a voltage display too, or just the red/green LEDs?
Just green and red. I have a power probe too, it lets you feed 12v and has a circuit breaker built in, but they can be dangerous lol you can pop an ECM pretty quick if you give 12v to the wrong thing.
You must be registered for see images attach
This is the one I use it's a MAC I believe it's the only MAC tool I own lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've got a snap on light with a digital voltage display in it and it also backlights red or green. But it just has the one clamp, so of course you gotta keep switching the clamp around to test power and ground. It would be great if it had a power and ground clamp on the lead.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I've got a snap on light with a digital voltage display in it and it also backlights red or green. But it just has the one clamp, so of course you gotta keep switching the clamp around to test power and ground. It would be great if it had a power and ground clamp on the lead.
No meter but has a positive and negative clamp. It's good for checking injector pulses, among other things.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I really thought this thread was goin somewhere...ohhhh I dunno.....like TO THE SOLUTION maybe? :p

I was screwin with mine earlier today and I came here looking for which switch terminals to short that force the blower on high..
Will keep looking. This ain't the right thread but I DID just learn about that little relay thang...that's not what i'm thinking of. I thought it was in the switch?
I swapped resistors and switches in my squares today and now the K5's blower speed is much, much faster! :D But no "high".

Last edited:

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The first three blower speeds are controlled by the resistors, but on A/C vehicles the high speed is a separate line.

High speed fan uses the blower relay, which is the silver box you see in post #9, with the "always on" power connection. The "always on" power for this relay is through an inline fuse that is located on the top of the firewall, and the wire runs over to the the power junction near the PB booster. When blower motors go haywire they seem to draw too much power for this 30 amp inline fuse, which burns up the fuse holder and blows the fuse. I replaced mine with a new blade fuse holder and 30 amp fuse, and haven't had trouble since.

One reason they use the relay for high speed is that when you put the A/C on max it puts the vacuum doors into recirculate mode, and also puts the blower motor on high. That relay is used to put the blower motor on high.

Bruce

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dangggg.
I always wondered what that fuse holder was supposed to do! There's the trouble for sure!
Thanks a ton Bruce, you're a good ol boy! :gay:

I was about to buy the little silver relay thingy on the side of the heater box and it STILL wouldn't have worked!.

I never did find the thread I was lookin for....thank you again.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
The first three blower speeds are controlled by the resistors, but on A/C vehicles the high speed is a separate line.

High speed fan uses the blower relay, which is the silver box you see in post #9, with the "always on" power connection. The "always on" power for this relay is through an inline fuse that is located on the top of the firewall, and the wire runs over to the the power junction near the PB booster. When blower motors go haywire they seem to draw too much power for this 30 amp inline fuse, which burns up the fuse holder and blows the fuse. I replaced mine with a new blade fuse holder and 30 amp fuse, and haven't had trouble since.

One reason they use the relay for high speed is that when you put the A/C on max it puts the vacuum doors into recirculate mode, and also puts the blower motor on high. That relay is used to put the blower motor on high.

Bruce
Would this be it??

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128