New Motor/Pump and Switch windshield washers still not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KnockingDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I am in the process of getting my 1982 GMC C35 working as it should. One of the last issues is the wipers and washers, the wipers were really slow and washer pump didn't work. I tried cleaning terminals and grounds but no help. so I replaced the wiper motor/pump assembly and while the wipers moved at same at idle they speed up with some throttle ( MORE VOLTAGE I GUESS?). So I replaced the switch and nothing changed.

So new wiper blades, motor/pump and switch, no fluid through squirters, no noise from pump and wiper speed only increase with higher engine RPM.

I have replaced the battery and checked the line from the reservoir to pump for blockage.

The horn doesn't work and blower motor won't go off. I'm not sure if its related but I'm out of ideas.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I am in the process of getting my 1982 GMC C35 working as it should. One of the last issues is the wipers and washers, the wipers were really slow and washer pump didn't work. I tried cleaning terminals and grounds but no help. so I replaced the wiper motor/pump assembly and while the wipers moved at same at idle they speed up with some throttle ( MORE VOLTAGE I GUESS?). So I replaced the switch and nothing changed.

So new wiper blades, motor/pump and switch, no fluid through squirters, no noise from pump and wiper speed only increase with higher engine RPM.

I have replaced the battery and checked the line from the reservoir to pump for blockage.

The horn doesn't work and blower motor won't go off. I'm not sure if its related but I'm out of ideas.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Ok, so #1 thing I need to know is what brand of wiper motor did you install and was it a remain. We have had horrible luck with A1Cardone remans, and they are re-boxed into other brands such as Napa.

The other thing I'd check for is to make sure that the wiper motor has a good ground. There are pretty much two things that are common to cause your symptoms, a bad ground or a bad (defective) wiper motor.

So the ground on a wiper motor is though one small metal tab on one of the wiper motor mounting bolts.

I can't get the image to come over for some reason but if you go here: https://www.camaros.net/threads/wiper-motor-ground-strap.190713/ Posts 3, 8, 12 show some good pictures of what the ground looks like.

You can also run a temp ground wire from the body of the motor to a good ground or better yet the battery to test to see if that fixes your issue.

If it's looking like the ground you can always make up your own ground with a short wire if the metal tab can't be salvaged. If it looks like the motor, then we have had really good luck with WIA motors, they are the only company I'm aware of still making new motors for these trucks and they are a dead ringer for the now discontinued A/C Delco.

Hopefully this has been helpful.

KnockingDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok, so #1 thing I need to know is what brand of wiper motor did you install and was it a remain. We have had horrible luck with A1Cardone remans, and they are re-boxed into other brands such as Napa.

The other thing I'd check for is to make sure that the wiper motor has a good ground. There are pretty much two things that are common to cause your symptoms, a bad ground or a bad (defective) wiper motor.

So the ground on a wiper motor is though one small metal tab on one of the wiper motor mounting bolts.

I can't get the image to come over for some reason but if you go here: https://www.camaros.net/threads/wiper-motor-ground-strap.190713/ Posts 3, 8, 12 show some good pictures of what the ground looks like.

You can also run a temp ground wire from the body of the motor to a good ground or better yet the battery to test to see if that fixes your issue.

If it's looking like the ground you can always make up your own ground with a short wire if the metal tab can't be salvaged. If it looks like the motor, then we have had really good luck with WIA motors, they are the only company I'm aware of still making new motors for these trucks and they are a dead ringer for the now discontinued A/C Delco.

Hopefully this has been helpful.

Thank you, it is a cardone. i will try the ground tomorrow and report back.

KnockingDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I cleaned the ground contact area with sand paper and still had nothing. So using a jump box I ran power directly to the washer and it worked. So I looked around and the wire going to the plug was barley hanging on. So a little disassembly of the plug i re attached the terminal and it now works. Also when I am under way the wipers work quite well as does the pump now. Thanks for all the help! For anyone wondering the plug is pictured below.
You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

If you ever in a junkyard, early and late 90s GM cars have a great selection of pump/reservoirs you could get for pennies and the pump is available new if it wasnt good. high end cars also had a float that also can power a tell-tell for low washer fluid.
This came out of an 88 cutlass ciera with a 2.8 or whatever it was. 3.2 maybe.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl, that's something I've thought about doing. My truck was originally a single, tank I converted it to dual saddle tanks, so it's got an aftermarket switch system, that's on a toggle switch. There are two idiot lights on the fuel gauge it would be neat to have the left on say left tank, the right one say right tank and wired to the switch, with the light colors being yellow. Low wash as one of the lights under the speedo, and maybe low coolant the final light. I doubt I'd ever get around to it, but it would be neat to do.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds

If you ever in a junkyard, early and late 90s GM cars have a great selection of pump/reservoirs you could get for pennies and the pump is available new if it wasnt good. high end cars also had a float that also can power a tell-tell for low washer fluid.
This came out of an 88 cutlass ciera with a 2.8 or whatever it was. 3.2 maybe.

Good lord, we think alike!! I used a washer tank with integrated pump on my dads 81 GMC years ago. I have never had much luck with the mechanical pumps (even after rebuilds) on the wiper motors the older trucks used.

The tanks from the 83ish (whenever year the wiper switch moved from the dash to the steering column) is a direct fit. Swap tanks, run new hose, wire the pump to the connector that engaged the solenoid to active the pump. The only difference in operation is you have to hold the wash button.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Good lord, we think alike!! I used a washer tank with integrated pump on my dads 81 GMC years ago. I have never had much luck with the mechanical pumps (even after rebuilds) on the wiper motors the older trucks used.

The tanks from the 83ish (whenever year the wiper switch moved from the dash to the steering column) is a direct fit. Swap tanks, run new hose, wire the pump to the connector that engaged the solenoid to active the pump. The only difference in operation is you have to hold the wash button.

if you put a check valve in you could prime up that line more or less :)

KCKKen

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
So glad I saw this thread!
My 78 C20 is having issues with the wipers only going one speed, even after I replaced the switch (it actually has the delay module behind the dash). The washer doesn't run at all, but I have the 85 GMC parts truck with the later-design washer pump in the reservoir.

For Project Calvin I might have to look around for a newer-design reservoir with the low-level sensor that AuroraGirl mentioned -- that would be a nice (and inexpensive) upgrade.

Take Care,
Ken Snyder in KCK

Cyrillious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cyril
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
I got a used wiper washer motor assembly and it did suck in washer fluid into the cylinder but not pump it out... I have to mount it onto the body for it to actuate properly!? Was hoping to just plug in the wires to see if I get washer fluid out.

Attachments

• 20230731_184103.jpg
    20230731_184103.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave