New here, building a 82 K10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pnwnvrdn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
SBC
I like your project.
I can appreciate trying to get all parts from one supplier, but rare these days..where Back Order is the order of the day.

Need15

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Got the motor and transmission installed as well as the cab mounted on the frame.

You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just like the little kid on Insta...."That mf'er looks gooood!"

Was the truck crashed previously? The bottom half of the drivers side cowl looks all wrinkled up in the first pic in primer.

Need15

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just like the little kid on Insta...."That mf'er looks gooood!"

Was the truck crashed previously? The bottom half of the drivers side cowl looks all wrinkled up in the first pic in primer.
Yup must have been at some point. Didn't seem to affect too much for panel fitment. I smoothed it all back out, since it's not seen when the fenders on I didn't worry about making it perfect but it's at least back to proper shape and would really have to look to notice any damage was there.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site. Nice looking truck.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yup must have been at some point. Didn't seem to affect too much for panel fitment. I smoothed it all back out, since it's not seen when the fenders on I didn't worry about making it perfect but it's at least back to proper shape and would really have to look to notice any damage was there.
Yeah, looked straighter with paint on. Not being critical, just an observation. Can't wait to see that thing put back together!
That paint peeling off looks like a blessing if the factory paint came off too, or was already removed previously.
Similar scenario with our '86. Factory peeler. Original paint was gone, sanded off before a many years ago re-paint. (Bonus)
And the re-paint appeared to stick fine, wasn't peeling anywhere except one little spot on the bottom of a door. But upon further investigation, 90% of it came off with a razor blade. Add heat gun or torch to the mix and it peeled off like a fruit rollup!

Need15

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah, looked straighter with paint on. Not being critical, just an observation. Can't wait to see that thing put back together!
That paint peeling off looks like a blessing if the factory paint came off too, or was already removed previously.
Similar scenario with our '86. Factory peeler. Original paint was gone, sanded off before a many years ago re-paint. (Bonus)
And the re-paint appeared to stick fine, wasn't peeling anywhere except one little spot on the bottom of a door. But upon further investigation, 90% of it came off with a razor blade. Add heat gun or torch to the mix and it peeled off like a fruit rollup!
Was repainted at some point and basically everything peeled off to the bare metal. I didn't notice any factory paint so looks like they stripped it before they repainted it and just didn't do proper process in painting it or didn't wait proper times. Whatever they did made my life easier removing all the paint to bare metal.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Need15
The blue paint looked pretty nice, but do you think it was real old? Allot of these trucks peeled paint off the factory black primer.
Mine was one of them I presume. As the inside of the bed is still factory paint and peeling.
The rest of the truck was taken to almost bare metal. I could see hints of black primer under the “ new” old primer. But the “new” old paint job, the primer was put on pretty thick and bonded to the substrate very well, but the single stage top coat came off easier than it should have. Not as easy as yours it would flake off if cold or peel off in ribbons if hot.

Either way, it took a while to get it all stripped by hand but better than blasting. Less issues due to blasting and truck was never completely to bare metal. Plus that beige primer made a nice first coat to block sand.

Need15

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Coming to the final stages of this build. Just waiting on interior to be finished up. Ended up having the dash pad just recovered as I couldn't get a good fit with the aftermarket one. Getting the parts up here to Canada was the hardest part but I will say USA 1 Industries parts are top notch. Between the stuff they make and the aftermarket vendors they use I was highly impressed. I wish I would have used their interior kit rather than the coverlay door panels I did use but all in all glad to be near the finish line.

Attachments

• 20220725_120722.jpg
    20220725_120722.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220715_164622.jpg
    20220715_164622.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220715_164604.jpg
    20220715_164604.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 49

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Coming to the final stages of this build. Just waiting on interior to be finished up. Ended up having the dash pad just recovered as I couldn't get a good fit with the aftermarket one. Getting the parts up here to Canada was the hardest part but I will say USA 1 Industries parts are top notch. Between the stuff they make and the aftermarket vendors they use I was highly impressed. I wish I would have used their interior kit rather than the coverlay door panels I did use but all in all glad to be near the finish line.
Looks great, what a beautiful truck.

Terry Wilkerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
Nice looking truck.
Cool shop too.
Welcome from KC

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Looks good!

Thanks for that USA1 recommendation, I need at least some door panels and I'm surprised to see they are the only manufacturer I have ever found that has the original Mystic colored interior available. Even for kick panels with speaker and seat belts!

Need15

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Getting some sun after a quick drive to set the dakota digital guages up.

Attachments

• 20220727_102100.jpg
    20220727_102100.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220727_102111.jpg
    20220727_102111.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 43

1979 K10

Reaction score
First Name
Terrell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
USA1 better than LMC or pretty much resell parts from the same supplier? My truck needs cab corners, quarter corners, lots of interior if I want to make it mint.

Need15

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
USA1 better than LMC or pretty much resell parts from the same supplier? My truck needs cab corners, quarter corners, lots of interior if I want to make it mint.
I would say better than LMC, they deal with Auto Metal Direct for sheet metal I believe, which of all after market suppliers for sheet metal I find the best. I have used AMD for years and have no complaints. I just got the AMD interior mouldings and first glance they look great so we will see how they fit when it comes time to install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg